Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Question Replacement of front nose panel? / Gas smell?

Hey guys, got a quick question(s):

I wrecked my car almost three years ago now and I think it's time to replace the damages. I crinkled the front nose panel in my car and it hasn't been the same since. Btw, we're talking about part number 21 in the RealOEM picture:

Now, I've called Bavarian Auto Recycling about it, turns out I can get one pretty cheap. However, from what I can tell, I think the stupid thing is welded on the car at the top above the grills. The guy on the phone said it was a bolt on part. Wha? Which is it? Also, I'm getting one from a 96+ so that I can have wide grills like the cool kids.

So, another thing... I'm smelling gas vapors from inside my car and outside of it. It isn't leaking fuel liquid, but I can definitely smell it. Is there a seal that I can replace? Hopefully?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Images blocked from hotlink.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
mullethunter3

That's stupid. Well, I guess I only want help from people who know what the front nose panel is anyway. So, no loss here.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
ive replaced it, althought to be honest i really cant remember if it was welded on or not, however i do remember osmesthing being welded on that was just a spot weld and all you had to do is take a drill bit and drill the holes, so either way its not a big deal(i think the nose panel is bolt on and the radiator support is a spot weld)

check your charcoal canister, thats what gets rid of the fumes from the gas tank and if its bad/saturated with gas it may do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Charcoal canister is a good bet if you like to top off at the gas pump . . which I learned you shouldn't do. Another place to look is the seal around the fuel pump. Rip out the back seat to check. Lastly, check your fuel injectors. If you're getting bad as mileage and the car is hard to start when cold, you may have leaky injectors. The fuel lines themselves are not likely to be leaking, since the crud in the fuel helps to seal the joints and connections.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
mullethunter3

^^^Define hard to start. Like 1.5 seconds instead of 1 second? Because I've noticed that...

Also, where are these parts located at? Charcoal canister? Fuel pump? I mean, I've ripped out the back seat, I guess I just wasn't looking for it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
xsperf

the charcoal canister is in the trunk(atleast i think thats where it is for e36's)

Quote:

Old 06-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
mullethunter3

Sweet, I'll get one of those when I get a new microfilter and fuel filter.

Also, I don't think I ever don't top the tank off. How bad is it for a car?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
mullethunter3

Also, any idea what the part number on that is? I can't seem to find it on Pelican.

NM -> BMW special order part #16131180463. $45.00. Gay.

How sure are you about it being the carbon canister?

Last edited by mullethunter3; 06-07-2007 at 09:21 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
xsperf

not very, you should probably check it firt, see if it has gas in it.. and when you say you dont top off your car, then its probably not your charcoal canister, and by topping off meaning after 1 click, you keep going

Quote:

Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
Dudesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethunter3
^^^Define hard to start. Like 1.5 seconds instead of 1 second? Because I've noticed that...
Yea, longer cranking times, but then .5 sec is not much of a difference. This occurs because a lack of residual fuel pressure. And that can be caused by leaky injectors, a bad fuel pressure regulator, or a weak fuel pump. But there can be other causes as well (see paragraph below). Check you spark plugs 1st thing in the morning for fuel fouling if you suspect the injectors.

The carbon canister is either in the engine bay (behind the air box), or in the trunk (under the spare tire), depending on the model year. The fuel system is designed to have some spare room for fuel vapors to expand. If you top off at the pump, you're leaving no room, and when the gas expands, it forces fuel to exit through the canister. If you repeatedly get enough fuel dumped into the canister, it gets clogged up, and that can cause a number of problems- failures with the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or injectors. All the components in the fuel delivery system work together, and when one part goes bad the others will follow along shortly after.

But enough of that mumbo jumbo . . the more probable answer to your problem is hopefully simple: usually the clamp on the fuel line coming out of the fuel pump is loose and leaking a little . . this is where the lines are most likely to leak, if they will. Or the seal around the pump is leaking or venting vapors. To find the pump, have a look at my writeup.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
mullethunter3

Alright, I don't top it off, I just let the gas pump go until it clicks. So I'll start with that seal. And let you guys know, of course.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
mullethunter3

Okay, maybe a new issue...

Do I have two fuel pumps? I took out the back seat and found two fuel pumps. I think. They look the same, they both run when I crank the car. For a 1993 is this normal? Also, there is no gas smell coming from either of the pumps. I don't think that I smelled gas today, but when I do, it's really faint unless I'm stopped with the windows up and no blower on.

Suggestions?

Chrys, what does fuel fouling on a spark plug look like? I've found lead fouling, is that the same thing?

NM... I'm an idiot. I started the car and smelled. Jesus Christ, it was stanky! I'll get to those seals.

Last edited by mullethunter3; 06-08-2007 at 05:04 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Dudesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethunter3
Chrys, what does fuel fouling on a spark plug look like? I've found lead fouling, is that the same thing?
Hmm, let's see, where is it? Oh here we go, look at post #14. I thought it was oil, but c1apton corrected me later in the thread, it was fuel. You can see the fuel glistening on the electrodes:

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/e...light=obd+1221

Oh, and that "2nd fuel pump" you're referring to is on the driver's side? That's just a fuel level sender; the lids look very similar.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
mullethunter3

Alright, so I'm an idiot again. The smell is definitely stronger in the engine bay. Really bad. I think the fumes just wafted back into the cabin. Anyway, it smells 100 times worse in the engine bay.

So, where is this carbon canister again? Because it's pretty damn smelly around a silver cylinder near the passenger headlight... This is weird.

Also, about the nose panel...
I called Bavarian Auto Recycling and they can't guarantee color. So that's a waste of my time. Does anyone know where I can get paint #668, Jet Black, from? And an approximate price for paint? (rough est.)