Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Rant Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Rant Forum Explode with gripes, complaints, and rants here. Anything goes, so enter with a tough skin.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
Hoppy

Name: Hoppy
Title: fueled by bourbon
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
another, hoppy gun rant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...ringgunssafely
Quote:
Few American families that keep firearms in their homes store them safely, a pediatric researcher says.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 200 million guns are privately owned in the United States, and more than one third of all American homes report keeping at least one gun in the house, according to previous studies.

Researchers surveyed more than 3,500 parents in pediatric offices across the United States and Canada. A total of 23 percent of the families surveyed reported owning firearms, and close to one third of them reported safe storage practices.

“Over 70 percent of families surveyed reported not storing their firearms safely in their residence,” said Robert DuRant of the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. “This concerns us a great deal because having guns in the home increases the likelihood that they will be used in a suicide or unintentional injury.”

Several patterns of firearm storage emerged from the study data, detailed in the June issue of the journal Pediatrics, mostly influenced by firearm type, family socialization with guns and the age of the children in the household.

“Our research shows that unsafe gun storage is associated with families who were raised with guns in the home,” DuRant said. “They tend to be more comfortable with guns and are less likely to store them safely.”

“We also found that families who had children aged 2 to 5 years and owned long guns were more likely to store guns safely than families with older children,” he added.

Families with two adults in the home were more likely to own guns, the study found. Those in rural areas were more likely to own long guns and to store them unlocked but separately from ammunition.

Families that owned handguns were more likely to store the guns locked but loaded.

The National Rifle Association was unable to comment on the results of the study by the time this story was published.

DuRant encourages all pediatricians to talk with parents about safe gun storage practices. The safest practice would be to remove guns from the house, but if parents are unwilling to do that, they should lock them and store the ammunition separately, he said.

“It’s imperative that parents understand the necessity of storing guns safely in the home,” DuRant said.
simple. clean, easy responce to this article. guns do not hurt people when in storage. they hurt people when being handled. no gun has ever crept out of a closet in the middle of the night and hurt some one. people make mistakes, people do things on purpose. things are only manipulated or degrade.

by definition, any "storage" that does not cause harm is "Safe" correct? if my guns are fully loaded, unlocked in my closet. and i dont. shoot anyone, point them at anything i do not wish to shoot, or have negligent discharges. then they are safe.

i say this all cause i happened to walk into a gun shop during a "interview" with a local tv station about this topic, and provided an example of a gun lock i happen to carry with me... ( really, i do)

and just the general ignorance of the "reporter" and this attitude that guns some how have the ability to perform actions independant of people

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF5
Well yeah, the BATFE is like the Anti Hoppy.
Well hey, hey Mr. Policeman
Bet I can drive faster than you can
Come on Hoss, let's have some fun
Go on shoot me with your radar gun
You look bored and I sure am
Catch me if you can.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
elsabor67

Name: elsabor67
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 35 / 340
Your Ride: 1989 325i (U.S. Specs)
So true to what you say. I still await the day when a gun comes by itself without no one holding it and carjack me

How do I spell relief??
AUTOBAHNNNNNNNNN
"GO FASTER !!"
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
stevo

Name: stevo
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 318se Touring
I agree to some extent with what you say, however I would have to say keeping a loaded gun unlocked in your closet is not the best example you could have come up with, yes it is "safe", yes it was only an example but lets just say some people do keep loaded weapons in their homes ,unlocked ready for use.Whats to stop a burglar or sneak thief from finding it?
And if someone other than yourself finds it what's to stop them from using it against you or another innocent party?
Even worse, what happens when a child finds a loaded weapon and doesn't fully understand the meaning of safety catch and trigger??
I understand American citizens have the right to carry firearms to protect their homes etc. but I wonder if it would be wiser if it was outlawed as here in the UK, gun crime over here is rare, criminals know that to carry or use a firearm here in the uk could result in a mandatory life sentence.
Our police do not carry firearms on the streets, if firearms are needed we have specially trained fast response units, these are vehicles manned by highly trained marksmen police officers who have secure gun lockers on board their vehicles.
I wouldn't like to think it was required for me to have a firearm loaded or otherwise in my home or on my person, and it will be a sad day when or if I ever have to.
Don't missunderstand , I do take on board your point about guns being safe until they are handled or more to the point misshandled, Im trying to figure if home or personal security justify the need for loaded weapons in the home and if the gun is for sporting use then should it not be kept unloaded and locked away?
Here in the uk if a gun is kept for sport the owner has to prove to the local police inspector that they have a secure gun locker in which to store their firearm and they can have the firearm confiscated if it is used or stored in a manner other than what it should be.
Avon and Somerset police link
http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk..._response.aspx

Last edited by stevo; 06-05-2007 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
I saw this thread and I was just like "Oh lord....here we go again..."
Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Hoppy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Whats to stop a burglar or sneak thief from finding it?
whats to stop a burglar from taking a steak knife out of my kitchen and using it to kill me or my family, while i just stumbled out of a sound sleep, fiddle with my keys, get my gun out, load the magazine and try to fight this guy out of my house?
long term storage ( goin outta town) then yes, locking is best. but for protection use, locking only hinders ones ability to protect themselves . and while most gun owners may or may not believe they will be the victim of brutal crime. i have no intention of becoming one of those cases you read about and want to vomit. ( torture, rape, kidnapping etc)

Quote:
And if someone other than yourself finds it what's to stop them from using it against you or another innocent party?
whats to stop them from using my kitchen knife or baseball bat. should i lock those up too?
nothing, no safe, no lock no guard is ever going to stop anyone from doing anything. it only slows them down. trigger locks are easily defeated, safety cabinets are easily torn open, even safes are easily opened by anyone with some experience
hell my guns are "locked", locked in my house. as far as i see it, some ones already broken into my home, whats a house more than a reall large locked box?

Quote:
UK, gun crime over here is rare, criminals know that to carry or use a firearm here in the uk could result in a mandatory life sentence.
well im skepticle of any data that shows anything in regards to UK gun laws on either side of the issue.
gun crimes droped, stabbings rose. now knives are restricted. new weapon of choice? baseball and cricket bats and "imitation" ( airsoft) guns. people = adaptive. banning guns only means that joe or jane schmoe at 2 am in his own home can no longer effectively defend himself. a gun is an equalizer. it makes a 60 year old woman and a 20 year old punk equal in strength

Quote:
trying to figure if home or personal security justify the need for loaded weapons in the home and if the gun is for sporting use then should it not be kept unloaded and locked away?
sporting guns and defense guns are seperate to me. in my gear, some are for sport, some are for historical value, and some's sole purpose is to engage some of the more advanced dipedal species found on this planet

its 3 am. and your daughter starts screaming. and 2 guys are ontop of her.
its 3 am and some one kicks in your front door. gunna call the cops and hide under the bed?

what if your disabled? what if your elderly?

gunna call the cops? live in the city? tell ya what. call the cops, order a pizza, and call a taxi. i garentee you the first one there probibly wont be the cop.

hell the VT shooting here in the US is a prime example. police were on campus, and 30 more people still died. 30 people died AFTER the cops showd up to the campus that morning

it just irks me. i support gay marrage, not because i like gay people. personaly im extremely prejudice. but i dont think my opinion is any more correct then yours. at the same time. gun owners want it to be a choice. want to own a gun, cool lets go shooting some time. dont want to own a gun, thats cool too, its your choice. where as antigun people constantly want to tell me what to do, when they themselves are ignorant of the facts. imagine being forced to to take racing/mechanic instructions from some one who doesnt even know how an internal combustion engine works.

Quote:
I saw this thread and I was just like "Oh lord....here we go again..."
haha sorry. but the reporter just agrivated me into this.

oh well. yall probibly sick of my ranting.

Quote:
Catch me if you can.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy

haha sorry. but the reporter just agrivated me into this.

Naw its okay haha
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
stevo

Name: stevo
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 318se Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy

everyones entitled to their opinion, you got good points and bad much the same as myself and anyone else, the argument for and against firearms will rage forever.
end of.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #8
Hoppy

Click here to set it up.
haha this got moved to the rant forum!

for those out ther, what are my bad points? what arnt i adressing. hopefully i can adress these aswell

Quote:
Catch me if you can.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
Hoppy

Click here to set it up.
another prime example. a show on MSNBC. about coroner investigators. a guy shoots himself on a boat. then the coroner goes to the dead guys house. finds guns and starts saying " oh hes got AK 47's in here" and she sees guns on the floor and says "its not safe to be in here, lets go"

are the OBJECTS gunna spring to life and attack you?! i mean im a CJ major, and understand the value of preserving evidence. but these are objects, and iv come a long way from the drug thread over on BMW-forums where i was a blind supporter of drug laws. i now, after 3 years of studying laws, question them.

Quote:
Catch me if you can.