Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
soidog

Name: soidog
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 330 i
BMW 330i-Power Steering Pump-Defective Bearing

My 330i is only 2 1/2 years old with 37,000 km (23,000 miles) on it. The car was a demo model purchased from a BMW dealer so the warranty period was rreduced to 2 years and since expired.

Last week I noticed vibration in the steering wheel when turning at low speed. Yesterday the vibration (grinding) included noise from engine compartment. I found the source of the noise coming from the power steering pump. The pulley wheel wiggles when I apply pressure with a screw driver so it appears to be the bearing however:

At idle (7-800 RPM) - Turning steering wheel produces vibration (grinding) and noise

Throttling at 3,500 RPM - Turning steering wheel is normal, smooth with no noise.

Even though the car is out of warranty I expect the BMW dealer to fix this problem at no cost. I have never had a power steering pump fail before and don't know anyone who has. A water pump or compressor maybe. Not the power steering pump.

I'd like to hear comments from other BMW owners so that I know where I stand when I confront the dealer.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
stevo

Name: stevo
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 318se Touring
approach the main dealer and ask them politely if they are willing to repair the car at no cost to you, if they refuse tell them you are contacting BMW head office direct to complain bitterly about the customer service you have recieved at the hands of this particular dealership, not forgetting to state the nature of the problem with your car and the fact that the car is only 2.5 years old with only 23,000 miles on it. then see how fast things happen.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
i believe after a certain RPM the PS is no longer effective. It doesnt do anything. might have a centrifugal clutch which disengages above a certain engine speed?

i say take it back and bitch. If not..it shouldnt be too difficult. But idk if the bearing has to be chagned by swappign the enitre pump.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 05-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
JTL330

Name: JTL330
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2002 330ci, 2001 528i, 2006 330i
I had the same issue with my 330ci. The pump went at 46000. I continued to drive the car even though I had to muscle it through parking lots. I eventually had it replaced under CPO, I agree with other posters. Complain (politely) I have had issues addressed under good faith warranties as long as I could show a history of service with the dealer.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
I was going to say that too....good faith warranties.

You bought the car at their dealership, serviced at their dealership, they should good will this exchange this one time at no cost to you.

Approach/talk to the manager....and confront him/her politely explaining your situation, and you should get what you want.

I've seen it done several times.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
amath80

Name: amath80
Title: Suspended License
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2006 BMW
I had a problem with my power steering system. the fluid and lines are fine but the power steering pump are out. would i change my steering pump or not? help guys....
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
archebald23

Name: archebald23
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by amath80 View Post
I had a problem with my power steering system. the fluid and lines are fine but the power steering pump are out. would i change my steering pump or not? help guys....

you probably want to change your power steering pump.When the fluid is low and you add some ... it still needs more after you run it for awhile. The reason for that is that the pump pumps the fluid through the lines and gets out the air in them. Keep filling and checking after you start the car and turn the wheel from side to side all the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
archebald23

Name: archebald23
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by amath80 View Post
When the fluid is low and you add some ... it still needs more after you run it for awhile. The reason for that is that the pump pumps the fluid through the lines and gets out the air in them. Keep filling and checking after you start the car and turn the wheel from side to side all the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
krislou80

Name: krislou80
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2009 BMW 323i
you have to change your power steering. When the fluid is low and you add some ... it still needs more after you run it for awhile. The reason for that is that the pump pumps the fluid through the lines and gets out the air in them. Keep filling and checking after you start the car and turn the wheel from side to side all the way.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
cbharvest

Name: cbharvest
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003, 325i
Power Steering Fluid Ooz...

So, I have 94,000 miles on my 325i. My mechanic told me my power steering fluid is oozing, but I don't have to worry about it, just keep topping it off. Is that true? Will it eventually cause a catastrophic failure or it it normal? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
fahayes

Name: fahayes
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 330i
2003 330i hard to steer

our 2003 330i with 114,000miles on it suddenly lost power steering today. Steers very hard. Any ideas?