Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Butcher

Name: Butcher
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e34 bmw
e36 convert problem

I will start this off, by saying that i will owe the bugger who can solve this problem, a favour!!, i have a 1995 328i convertible, of which has developed a unique problem!! Just in the last week, i noticed the power convertible roof mechanism was making some wiered noises, so i wanted to perform a "reset procedure" where you manualy disengage both electronic roof motors(via a hidden loover under the rear passenger seat--> essentially turn the roof into a manual setup) and then resynch the gears, but half way through this procedure i was unable to re-open my boot to continue the procedure. Now the problem is that i have been aware for a little while now that my back boot lock, has been a little sticky and needed replacing, but as these things are... i havnt got around to replacing it. So wheneve ive had to store stuff, i have relied on it been able to intermittedly open. Now what i can desribe is that, the lock doesnt seem to be electronically failed, cause i can sorta still here it still operate, but it doesnt feel like it catches in the barrel. So ive tried opening via central locking on remote, ive tried by central locking on the drivers door and ive tried manually via the boot lock itself. All of which have failed! Now part of my dilemma is that there is no manual boot release mechanism (at least none i can find or have read about) and there is no way to crawl into the boot to manipulate anything, as in convertibles in the mid section has inner support structures for suspension and convertible mechanisms .... etc. Now i have read up on a similiar problem on another beamer forum, that when the battery fails and you cant open the boot to get to the battery to replace it, just attatch another battery to certian connections under the bonnet and then use the central like usual (just incase anyone needs to know), but unlike that problem, i already have the electricity and the central locking wont open it. Now thinking from and engineering perspective i can see why they'd make it so hard to get in the boot, because they have that security nut for the rims, so someone cant steel them, which is stored the bmw toolkit in the boot! So if you were a thief, then you could just knife open the canvas on the convertible and then release the boot and get the lock nut and steel the rims and tyres. Anyways enough with the waffleing, my question is can someone here in this forum have a similiar problem and solution and or the knowledge to get around this??? Becuase this is a very real problem that many convertible owners must have all the time, i mean locks fail all the time, so how would you get in the boot to replace it if its foobarreeed ???

So whoever thinks they are tru bmw techie !!! speak out or forever hold your peace!!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
joetwa

Name: joetwa
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 E36 Convertible
you sure its a trunk problem? Based on the searches I have done, the trunk has a mechanism that doesn't allow you to open it unless the top cover is latched - when it is in emergency mode, you need to "push down" on it to actuate the switch to release the trunk mechanism. BMW repair CD says "have a 2nd man push down on both side", although I think you can just push down on the passenger side, and you'll here it "unlatch"

I've been doing a lot of research on the same type of issue, and came across this great site.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...vertible+reset

Let me know how it goes.

thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
bigdaddyal77

Name: bigdaddyal77
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 325CIC
I had similar trouble with my 98 323IC. I found a limit switch on the bottom of the latch on the passenger side of the car(right side in USA). I held down the switch while my wife opened the trunk. We then let the cover back down to re-engage the motors.