Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 2002
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

2002 General discussion and technical help for all year 2002 model cars.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 AM   #16

Name: 38927
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
2002obsession

Name: 2002obsession
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
OH YEAH! I try to run the 2002 every week, but I've been slacking for about 3 weeks. I got the oil warm, added some Rislone ring seal and drove off (after the proper warm up a BMW deserves) My Subaru is a great car, but when I'm driving my beat up 2002, I'm like "***k the Loyale!" I need to go borrow a gas can and put $471 of 91 octane (that's the best we Oregonians get at the pump) in it so I can fill the tank half way. Don't want to drive her to a gas station due to having no insurance and expired tags. 2002s rule!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 AM   #18
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
i love the car! very nice.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #19
2002obsession

Name: 2002obsession
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
I've only driven my baby twice since my last post. Shame on me. The first was during the rain, moving the car across town to my new (temporary) home. Took forever to get her started, and she sounded really bad, like one cylinder wasn't firing or something. A fuse was blown so the windshield wipers didn't work (that was interesting). And the second was yesterday, that turned out much better, sort of, being planned and more prepared. Man, those Good N Plenty fuses are getting hard to find. After finally checking the numbers, I am relived to know that the engine is original. Otherwise I would have jreplaced with a rebuilt. So, after maybe 25 minutes of warm up, replacing 5 fuses, draining the 2-/+ inches of rainwater from the floorboards, she still wouldn't hold an idle. I could barely get her above 45mph, lots of sputtering. No matter how my car deteriorates, I'm not giving up. I will dump at least 20 grand into it. For now, I can silicone up the windshield leaks, remove the chrome trim (so seaweed crap will stop growing out of it), replace trunk seal (I'll have some left over if anyone wants it) and sand/primer the rust spots (which are few, thankfully). The plans for end product is: fully rebuilt transmission (dunno if 4 or 5 spd), 3.64 or 3.36 LSD, engine with dual Webers (40/40s maybe) and around 140hp. Body off repair and paint (either Granada or Verona, I'll need to see a 2002 in each, in person first) Complete interior restoration to stock in white and green, only interior mod will be extra gauges, stereo. All work will be done by 2002AD, as I can afford it. And in case someone's still reading, I'm going to remove the running gear and take it to 2002AD via pickup or Subaru for rebuild, then drive Inga to my new home in Tucson, AZ.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #20
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
sounds like you have some serious plans for your 02. Luckily for me, mine is in excellent running condition. However, I still plan on modding when I get more income. I like all of your ideas. Nothing too crazy, but still some upgrades for improved performance. I suggest doing some mods to the suspension as well. I have front and rear sways and they make a tremendous difference in body roll and turning response. Also some lowering springs always make the stance a little more arrgressive.

If you are serious about running dual 40's, then you will probably want to look into a new cam. A more aggressive cam will allow the engine to maximize all the extra airflow from the carbs. Without touching the cam, the dual sides will just cause you to bog down and will probably hurt your performance more than help it.

Keep us updated on how everything is going. And don't let her sit for so long between drives. The 02 really loves to be opened up at least once a week. Thats what keeps mine running so strong.

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"