Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Wall plug ethernet bridges

Anyone know if these things work for multiple dwelling homes? I have a situation where I need to share internet access in a 6 unit apartment building. The units have individual circuit breaker boxes in the basement. But I'm thinking that since they all feed off of one single line coming in from the street, the plugs may work from one apartment to another. Has anyone tried this, or have any experience with these things? Here's an example of the product:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE102.php
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
I don't think it would. I'm just guessing, if they were all connected - if one apt. had a short they'ld all go "black".
I know what you're after, maybe try using dual phone jack wall plugs using the extra lines. Phone lines come in with 2-4 extra lines and you could use those for your "distro" set-up
Old 12-16-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
jms

Name: jms
Title: ______
Rate My Car: 105 / 340
Your Ride: 99 328I Convertible
assuming your building is on 3 phase, and most apartments would be 2 phase you might end up with a problem, but it does say works across phases so it is possible it might work anyway. As long as you are on the same phase the only place you would have a problem is the transformers on the pole, so I would get two and try it in various plugs throughout the building. I suspect that it should work. as for the phone line solution, that does work but it can get messy, especially if someone tries to rewire the phone. If you only have 2 lines they make etherenet extenders which work over a single pair and are esentially dsl modems done back to back, they are single duplex which means you send and then recieve but they will work better than dial-up. They may have come out with full-duplex models by now but I havn't had to play with them for quite some time. There is always the wireless option but in older buildings it can be problematic and will require some boosting and at least a passing familiarity with wireless security, and hours of helping people get setup, over and over and over again.

best bet: buy 2 and try it out.