Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > Z Series (Z3, Z4, Z8)
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Z Series (Z3, Z4, Z8) General discussion and technical help for all year Z series cars.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
boy1_

Name: boy1_
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Much help needed

A few months back we got a 1998 Z3 1.9 from California, (we're in Canada). Anyhow, a few things have come up that I can't find by searching the site and google.
1. Catalytic convertor is dead, needs replacing. Does anybody know whether a cat that is good for 48 states would pass aircare in BC (and yes, i realize most are not from around here) And perhaps a reputable site to purchase this item from (cost is not a huge issue, but of course I have to say it, the cheaper the better)?
2. Passenger seat motor is dead, needs replacing. But I cannot find this item anywhere to purchase, and since this is an American only model, the wrecker is out of the question, cars also a little new for that. So does anybody know of where to purchase this item? Or whether it can be scabbed from a similar model, like a 318 or similar?
Any help would be much appreciated, but I know that its a long shot.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Welcome to the forums!!!!!

I live in Alberta (Calgary) so i know what problems you might have with emmsions and shit. One from the states should be fine, but i recommend getting one from a local dealership. it may be a bit more expensive but since you said cost isnt to much of an issue then its probably ur best bet.

As for the seat motor i cant help to much. But my guess is a motor from another car, say 318 as u said, may work. I can try to find out for you tommorow though.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 08-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
DEATH2000

OK, i went to the dealership today (for foglights, damm there expensive). I asked the guy there about the seat motor for the Z3, it turns out theres 2 motors, one at the front one at the back. Each one controls differnt seat functions. Sadly an OEM motor will run about $150-200. The guy said there is a slight chance that a motor from a 328 would work, but youd have to check the part numbers on em to see.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
boy1_

Name: boy1_
Click here to set it up.
thanks

thanks alot. the cat issue was solved today. and i'll try and look into the seat further myself, i'm gonna try and find one in either a wrecker or somewhere on a board, i dont mind if the passenger is unable to put the seat forward. again thanks alot for the help.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
DEATH2000

no prob, glad i could help. And remeber to get set up in rate-my-car when your done!!!

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
SeaAngl202

Name: SeaAngl202
Click here to set it up.
Chick in need of help!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what it meant when your car is parked in a parking space and when you turn the wheel right and left there is a click noise coming from the back of the two front tires. it makes this sound when i am taking a slow turn but not when i take a fast turn.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAngl202
Chick in need of help!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what it meant when your car is parked in a parking space and when you turn the wheel right and left there is a click noise coming from the back of the two front tires. it makes this sound when i am taking a slow turn but not when i take a fast turn.
Hey, welcome to UB!
You would probably get a better response by creating your own thread. Click on the Z-Series forum, then click the New Thread button and type your question there.