Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Ajj1955

Name: Ajj1955
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 298 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 - 320CI
Unhappy E46 - Retrofit Electric Memory Seats

Hi,

I have just retro-fitted electric seats to my E46 320 Coupe (2003).
I wired a power and earth feed to pins 13 and 14 of the seat plug, (as suggested by some helpful person in this forum) which now means that the seat controls all work. The problem I have is getting the driver's side memory buttons to work. The manual says that the ignition must be on (pos 1 or 2), so I imagine more connections are required, perhaps an ignition live feed. I seem to remember that one more wire came to the seat socket, but this not connected in my plug. Does anybody out there know the answer???
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Ajj1955

Red face Problem Solved

I bought a BMW wiring CD on Ebay, and I have now discovered that the missing wire needs to be attached from Pin 15 on the seat plug to the K-Bus; a black plastic block which sits on top right-hand of the fuse panel. The lower right connector bus in the back of this block has about 8 or 9 wires connected, all coloured white & red, with yellow markings. If you drop the fuse box down, you will see that there are one or two spare connection pins. I ran a similar size wire from one of these to Pin 15 on the drivers side seat plug.

To gain full access to the fuse box, you need to remove the glove box and adjacent facia panel, then un-hook the fuse box from its hinge pins.

The wires can be run (in plastic sleeving) through the centre console, then down under the carpets and into the existing seat wiring loom braided cover.

I also ran my live feeds from the fuse panel. Fuses 65 and 70 (30Aamp) are allocated to the passenger and driver's seats. BMW do not fit the fuse connectors , but they do provide a permanent live supply to one side. This can be 'tapped' into using male spade connectors, and in-line blade fuses, if you do not have the correct fuse connector pins.

BMW do not provide the connector pins in the seat plug either, so I had to use two standard male spade connectors for +ve (pin 13) feed and -ve (pin 14) ground, and a scavenged connector for pin 15 from an old PC plug that happened to have the correct pin size.

The memory functions now work correctly, but I need to get the BMW garage to 'turn on' the ability to match the seat positions to the two ignition keys that we have. Alternatively I may invest in BMW CarSoft CD and a matching OBDII interface. Both can be bought on Ebay, CD = 7 , interface = 60. Useful for a whole bunch of other things to.

Last edited by Ajj1955; 11-15-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
siven

Name: siven
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 BMW 325CI CONVERTIBLE
Great write up!!!
I have some confused questions about retrofitting Memory Seat for passenger seat. My car which has passenger electric seat is UK RHD. How will I retrofit memory seat controller switch to my seat as I will purchase this part from USA? Do you think it is just plug and play? Moreover, do you know how I will set passenger memory function in my key? When I use my key, I would like my driver seat is my position and passenger seat is my girlfriend's position, whereas when my girlfriend use her key, the seat will be set in her wish and passenger seat will be set in my love.
Hopefully you can help me to figure it out... I will love so much... Thank you...
Best regards
Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Ajj1955

Passenger Memory Seat

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I have no knowledge of passenger seat memory, as I have never done this myself. However, from what I have seen and done so far, I suspect that the USA parts will fit without any problems. As for 'plug and play', I suspect not. Unlike other car manufacturers BMW do not fit any wires that a model does not need. The plastic seat plug is common to all , but the missing connector and wire to the K-BUS will probably have to be added by you. This will most likely be the same as I described for the driver seat. I did not manage to get the key memory to work in my car using CARSOFT, but I do know that this function can be enabled at any BMW dealership.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajj1955 View Post
I bought a BMW wiring CD on Ebay, and I have now discovered that the missing wire needs to be attached from Pin 15 on the seat plug to the K-Bus; a black plastic block which sits on top right-hand of the fuse panel. The lower right connector bus in the back of this block has about 8 or 9 wires connected, all coloured white & red, with yellow markings. If you drop the fuse box down, you will see that there are one or two spare connection pins. I ran a similar size wire from one of these to Pin 15 on the drivers side seat plug.

To gain full access to the fuse box, you need to remove the glove box and adjacent facia panel, then un-hook the fuse box from its hinge pins.

The wires can be run (in plastic sleeving) through the centre console, then down under the carpets and into the existing seat wiring loom braided cover.

I also ran my live feeds from the fuse panel. Fuses 65 and 70 (30Aamp) are allocated to the passenger and driver's seats. BMW do not fit the fuse connectors , but they do provide a permanent live supply to one side. This can be 'tapped' into using male spade connectors, and in-line blade fuses, if you do not have the correct fuse connector pins.

BMW do not provide the connector pins in the seat plug either, so I had to use two standard male spade connectors for +ve (pin 13) feed and -ve (pin 14) ground, and a scavenged connector for pin 15 from an old PC plug that happened to have the correct pin size.

The memory functions now work correctly, but I need to get the BMW garage to 'turn on' the ability to match the seat positions to the two ignition keys that we have. Alternatively I may invest in BMW CarSoft CD and a matching OBDII interface. Both can be bought on Ebay, CD = 7 , interface = 60. Useful for a whole bunch of other things to.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
ccfj1

Name: ccfj1
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e46 M3
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, But I can tell you that it looks like its not possible.

I have just added the LHD memory module from a USA spec e46 to my RHD UK spec e46 and added the k-bus pin (pin 9 on the module), and the memory does not work as it should, the M button lights up and it does appear to store in the memory.

However, the biggest problem is that both modules have the same base network address on the K-bus, so the system can't differentiate between the 2 modules, which is a real boner, Loading INPA and loading the drivers seat module, actually flips between both modules!!!

If there is a way to re-configure the passenger memory module or use a different module (with a different k-bus address) then maybe, but as it is, not working.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
US cars and UK cars are different, and parts may not be interchangeable in the same way.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #7
ccfj1

Name: ccfj1
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
US cars and UK cars are different, and parts may not be interchangeable in the same way.
AFIAK the only real difference is that the US cars have a de-tuned motor and some extra "safety" options (turned on in the modules), things like seat belt gong, mirror warnings "objects may appear larger blah blah", sat nav nag screen etc that sort of thing.

I'm sure that there are spec differences but not in the actual components, the unit I got from the states is in the bmw parts catalogue and I could have ordered it trough the UK dealer network, it's just the same unit as available in Europe for RHD cars.

Thinking about it, it does make sense to make both (lhd and rhd) memory modules have the same base address as the cars (electronically) are the same so the other units on the k-bus expect to see it (if its available) with the same address, I was hoping that it was like the 7 series where they are different.