Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Robinson67

Name: Robinson67
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 325i E36 M50
Looking for Some Upgrade Advice

I have been looking into doing some standard small time upgrades to my '92 325i. The companys i have ended up stuck between because they are the only ones who i have found dealers for here in Calgary, Alberta are Dinan and Bav Auto. The upgrades i am looking at purchasing are the CAI, Exhaust, Header, Chip, Coil set and possibly a new Throttle body.

If any one has any advice for different combos or a Better Company located in canada for purchase ease on the cross boarder shipping.

Every piece of advise is much appreciated!!

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Welcome to United Bimmer! Glad to have more Calgary and area guys on here!

I used to go to Bobby at Tunerworks for a lot of my parts. Mostly for convienence. He's a good guy to deal with and can get a lot of things. I got my M3 bumper, rims, intake, and suspension from him and I have no complaints except for a shipping one which wasn't their fault.

What's yor budget? Are you trying to mod the car while being financially conservative?

I have the Jim Conforti CF CAI and I really like it. The look of the CF is nice and accepts the engine bay. The sounded excellent as well, nice and throaty. As for a chip I would look I to the Jim Conforti one. Their highly recommended by numerous guys and have been known to provide good gains. Jim Conforti makes some good stuff. Instead of headers I would get under drive pullies. Better bang for your buck IMO. The CAI robs a bit of torque for increased HP and the under drive pullies bring that torque back. I installed my CAI and Under drive pullies at the same time and noticed a decent gain right away. As for exhaust I hear the UUC Motorworks RSC36 is an excellent exhaust. Its the exhaust I'm currently looking into. Their priced a lot better then a Supersprint or Remus and sound just as good. Hit up YouTube to listen to some sound clips. they can be found for a good price used on BMW classifieds.

Their isn't a coil set that is better then stock. All those "high performance" ones will just lighten your wallet. With fuel injected injections increasing the spark it's as effective as it was in carbureted ones. A Dinan throttle body is $750. Not worth the cost in my opinion. The fan delete mod would be better.

Don't order from KO performance. Their a crap company and will take your money. Below is the link to the UUC exhaust.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/rsc36/

Since your in Okotoks you should also check out ProjectTechnik.com. It's an Alberta BMW forum. Lots of good guys all local. One of the guys Nick (board name 24V E30) owns Nurburgring Ltd. a BMW shop down by chinook centre. My board name over their is Vader.
www.projecttecknik.com

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Robinson67

Click here to set it up.
My Budget is around the $3000 range, thats kinda the price i came up with after comparing all the prices on parts. as for modding im just trying to add a few things to get it back to running like i know a BMW should. the exterior of the car, brakes and shocks are already upgraded to what i use it for.
you have definetly given me some serious change in direction, Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
DEATH2000

Well $3,000 is a great budget! I'm working with what ever is left over from my pay cheques. What have you done so far?

I'm in a refurbishment stage I guess. Replacing a bunch of worn parts. I had my hood release lever break so I had to use vise grips to get the hood open. Now I have to strip down the front end to replace the hood release cable and the latches. It's good cause I noticed a few things were broken like the electric fan had a corner broke off where it bolts in, and a fender liner needs to be replaced. My car has 262,000 km on it. I started parking it for the winters cause the roads and rocks destroyed the paint on the front end.

What do your shocks look like? Mine are beat to shit and the paint is rusting off. I wanna paint em so they don't look so bad but Im not sure if Koni will void my warranty because of it.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Robinson67

Click here to set it up.
so far i havent started on anything engine, i bought the car a few years ago when i graduated high school. when i bought it it had bilstein suspension and a base upgrade set of drilled rotors and upgraded pads. my car has 104,000km on it and i havent driven it in winter since i bought it. i finally have a resonable budget and i wanna start its just finding the right place to start thats tough. i have been using raybern motors for a mechanic for those things i lack experience in fixing, otto is a huge help seeming how he has been working on BMW longer than i have been alive. but as a early 92 my car is nothing like some of the cars i have driven. thats mostley why i just want to add the little things that can make the difference between daily driver and a summer car! if you know what i mean.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
DEATH2000

Crazy! You use Otto too? Small world. I've had a fair bit of work done there. He's a good guy. His accent is hilarious. Now that I don't live in an apartment or condo and actually have a place to work on it I try to do all my own work.

Even a 92 The E36 is a great car. It's not the fastest or the nicest but they are fantastic to drive. Definitley worth the headaches and money for the joy of driving it.

When they upgraded the suspension did you upgrade your Rear Shock Mounts as well? The RSMs are a common wear and failure point. They can cause the failure of the entire shock tower of theres too much stress.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Robinson67

Click here to set it up.
that would be something i would have to ask otto. he did all the work on my car just before i bought it, he was the one who recommended i purchase the car i have.
yea so far this car has made me happy, only a few glitches thus far that have cost any extra money. would otto be a good place to start for getting parts ordered and installed properly?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
DEATH2000

Otto will pretty much install anything you bring him, but he really only sources OEM parts. If you want aftermarket stuff you have to source it. I like him, but I can't justify the labour rate. I rather do the work myself and save the money for more parts.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Robinson67

Click here to set it up.
so the best question, where to order the parts from? is it best to visit an aftermarket shop here in calgary or to find a website that i can order all the parts from at once? and is there a specific place to get Conforti parts? ive been looking and i cant seem to find anything?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
DEATH2000

I got my Conforti intake from Tunerworks in Calgary. Looking back now it was more then I shoulda paid as it was $500. I don't mind ordering from them. Depends what you want. for my hood latches and other OEM stuff I like Pelican Parts.

Some really good online retailers Include:
- ECS Tuning
- Turner Motorsports
- Bimmerzone
- BavAuto
- Autohauz

Some Canadian ones are:
- Bimmerspecalist
- Bimmer-parts.ca

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

Last edited by DEATH2000; 03-26-2012 at 08:26 PM..