Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
al22

Name: al22
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: E36 316i 95
Angry please help pulling my hair out

i have a BMW 316, e36 auto 95 m43, which i bought recently, i have had several problems with it, firstly i noticed excess vacuum in the petrol tank
which i thought might be responsible for the high MPG which is about 18/20 urban, anyway i replaced the fuel tank breather valve, problem with
the vacuum stopped, did a full service, including fuel filter, and treated with stp cleaner but as far as i can see its not helped the MPG

My other problem which i am now pulling my hair out is a noise that appeared on the rear near side, (uk) a couple of days after upgrading the wheels
from 15 to 16 inch, compatible wheels and tyres used, hard to describe the noise wife say it sounds like metal scraping together and its as if something is moving, but i would describe it more like a squeak,it started off hardly noticeable, then became louder the following day, up to about 20 mph its noticeable, then over 40 mph seams to stop.

First checked the wheel and put the old one back on but the noise was still there, checked wheel bearing, shocker mounting bushes, changed breaks
replaced the larger trailing arm bush, after which it stopped, but a couple of days later it was back again, looked at smaller trailing arm bush today and it has little play so its not that, any advise would be gratefully received

Re the MPG i have wondering if its worth changing the 02 Censor, but getting to the point where i am just throwing a small fortune at it with no joy,also bought a OBD scanner and no codes are coming up
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
David Mc

Name: David Mc
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 e36 328i
Have you checked the brake pads? I have had a similar problem with another car, which turned out to be a small stone that had flicked up from the roadway and lodged in the brake caliper.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
al22

Click here to set it up.
Hi Dave
i did strip them down and replace them with a set i had but i will have another look tomorrow
in case i missed something
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
al22

Click here to set it up.
checked breaks there is no sigh of anything inside them., checked dif and the suspension is fine. Just been out for a test run and the noise sounded like a ( chudder ) like a steam train and seems to only do it when the accleration is just being pushed down gently, but when you floor it the sounds goes away instantly. Another thing to note is when turning left the noise occurs, but not turning right ( UK ) and also occurs when driving straight. any ideas please?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
David Mc

Name: David Mc
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 e36 328i
As you know, rear end noises can be transmitted along the drive train - have you checked the Guibo (rubber flex joint) at the junction between the tailshaft and rear of the transmission?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
al22

Click here to set it up.
hi had anorther check today while some one ealse was driving and the noise is coming from the rear wheel
i think my next port of call is the wheel bearing but when it was first checked it was ok with no play or maybe the lower sway arm bush as i am running out of things to look for