Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
theeflash1

Name: theeflash1
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 320 e46 Coupe auto.
Exclamation Car sill a not starter.!

Hi There...Removed the SPARK PLUGS and they were "Dripping" with Runny oil except the 5th one. Can anyone tell me hhat the hell to do!....Please....

Seemed that I had a 3/4 CHARGED BATTERY-AFTER a few attempts to start car I Could see battery was dying-came out to star car again NO POWER FROM BATTERY AT ALL!........ ..........

Ken.....
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Manolito

Name: Manolito
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 338 / 340
Your Ride: (2) '97 328s; '04 330; '04 325iT
You have a couple of things going on here, but neither one if them is likely very serious. Was the oil on the top part of the spark plugs or down on the inside? Oil on the middle to upper part (where the wrench fits on) means a leaking valve cover gasket. Very common and not difficult to replace. You can do it.

In theory, oil is a non-conductor. In practice, old dirty oil will short out your plugs and keep the car from starting if it gets deep enough in the plug recesses. You may want to buy new rubber boots to fit on the coils rather than trying to clean the oil off the old ones.

The battery is another matter. Lots of short trips, lots of attempts to start the engine, an old worn-out battery, or problems with the charging system. The original battery in this car will last 4-6 years, depending on the climate. Replacement battery will last a bit longer if you get a good battery with plenty of capacity.

Last edited by Manolito; 02-11-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
theeflash1

Name: theeflash1
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 320 e46 Coupe auto.
Thank you my friend.....This is doing my head in. So plugs out.....Going to use new ones. How should i clean out engine casing that holds plugs?....Car left for a day...
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Manolito

Name: Manolito
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 338 / 340
Your Ride: (2) '97 328s; '04 330; '04 325iT
It is not really necessary that the holes where the plugs go be completely clean and dry. You can wait until you are replacing the valve cover gasket to clean them well. They will be more accessible then.

If there was a lot of oil in those holes, it ran down into the cylinders. It would be wise to crank the engine while the plugs are out to blow out any excess liquid so it does not damage the engine when you crank it.

You should clean or replace the rubber boots that attach to the coils and fit over the plugs. Something like aerosol carb cleaner and a rag would clean them. If you use that, wear rubber gloves.