OK one and all - for those that like the sound of the Hotwires but don't want to lose the cover..... I have successfully modded a cover to fit (after first ensuring Pelican Parts could supply me with a brand new one which should be in my hands very early this week for the paltry sum of USD $12.75)
Now I have done this step-by-step with pictures, but I must apologise for the quality of these pictures. They were taken with my iPhone 3GS, so not even a decent MegaPixel camera, but they are clear enough to be able to see what I have done and how I did it. So, on with the show.
First off, this is what we have as standard. Clearly the bulk of the Hotwires just will NOT fit at the back end of that cover.
The solution to start with then is to apply a hacksaw to the back end and remove the guide like so :-
You are still left with a lot of internal channels and guides. All you really need inside is the two posts that the top cover fastens on to. I used a hacksaw blade to get in and remove the guides and channels such as this one (I imagine there are a far more elegant solutions than flexible hacksaw blade.... but as this was in the nature of an experiment....)
Once you have removed the internal guides, channels and other uneccessary obstructions, and used some sandpaper to smooth down the cut areas, this is what you are left with:
The fun's not over yet though.... not only do you have to accommodate the thicker Hotwires, but there are those earthing straps as well...... The rear straps will happily go onto the rocker cover nut at the rear of the rocker cover as the now cut cover doesn't quite cover it, so they will fit with no further mod to the cover there.... HOWEVER, the front straps go onto the nut which sits directly under the front post of the cover. When you cut the channel away that is adjacent to the front post, you are left with a hole in the side of the cover anyway..... you need to enlarge that hole as follows:
Now disconnect the front earthing straps and feed them through the cover:
This will allow the earthing straps to fit onto that nut and enter from the side. The cover insert will now sit quite comfortably in the rocker cover. You can see the rear straps going at the back of the cover, the front ones entering through the side in the channel that has been cut:
Now to place the Hotwires into the cover insert. Yes, I KNOW it is a VERY blurred picture - clearly I was shaking with the excitement of actually having achieved it!! But you get the idea:
And the final piece... the top cover then locks back onto the modified cover insert with no problems at all, and you have your tidy engine back. You can JUST see the Hotwires peeking out the back of the engine.....just
There we go. Any questions, please please feel free to contact me, I am more than happy to share any and all experience of this and other mods I have done (....like fitting chrome trim rings to the gauges.... not as straightforward as you may think.....) that may be beneficial to others