Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
jhnnydavis

Name: jhnnydavis
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 325i
I started getting the same problem about a month ago. I have 77k miles on the BMW 325i and would like not trying to replace everything too. Does anyone have an answer?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
newowner

Name: newowner
Click here to set it up.
newowner

Hello, I have an '03 325i that is having the red oil light blinking problem. It has 79k miles. It starts blinking after about 20 miles at a stop or low rpm's. It goes off as soon as I give it gas. I'm thinking this happens as soon as the oil has become more liquid. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

I have changed the oil to 10/30 and replaced the oil switch. The mechanic at my local dealer tested the oil pressure and said it was fine. How can that be? He said it was a faulty cluster board and to ignore it. Don't want to IGNORE IT!! Help, I have already spent too much $$$ on this car.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
newowner

Name: newowner
Click here to set it up.
red oil light flashing

I finally got my 2003 325 i flashing red oil light fixed. Took it to a different dealer. They replaced the oil level sensor. At first it did not work, but then they got the right program to re-boot the system. It is now fine. Thought I should let you know what worked for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
ojE39

Name: ojE39
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 03 525i sport
I've got this same problem with my 03 525. Everyones been saying it's the oil pan sensor so i'm assuming that's what it is.
But as far safety, does anyone know of it causes more damage not fixing the issue right away?
It hasn't happened for a while, it did once at a shop because car was on for a while, and sometimes when I turn the car on or off it flashes.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
jhnnydavis

Name: jhnnydavis
Click here to set it up.
red oil light flashing when stopped

I had the oil pressure sensor replaced and a small oil leak fixed. The problem still exists. The mechanic said the pressure was about 7PSI at idle. He wants $900 to replace the oil pump. Is there anything else that could cause the light to blink?

After further investigation, it can also be the oil filter housing. This is about $750 to replace. Looks like I have to gamble on which part to replace.

Last edited by jhnnydavis; 10-06-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
rkinyua

Name: rkinyua
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2001 325i
Red oil light flashing and permanent orange light

I have a 2001 325i which I got at 112,000 miles and is now at 160,000 miles. Had the flashing red light problem soon as I took it to a store for an oil change at around 115,000 miles. Several oil changes later the problem is still there. One mechanic wanted $800 to replace the oil pump. The other one told me its a know BMW issue and not let it bother me but no one wants to see a flashing red light especially indication oil for that long. What my issue now is I have a permanent orange light flashing when I am driving. The red light still comes on when idling still. Should I worry about this now? I changed the top cover gasket a few weeks back for an oil leak and that is when the orange light became more persistent.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Ahton

Name: Ahton
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 330 ci
2003 bmw red oil light blinks

same problem on my bmw 2003 330 ci red oil light blink when come to a stop or at idles, it blinks...why??? bought my car in the shop cause yellow oil light was on and now the yellow light is fixed, cause changed the oil lever sensor. so i bought back to the shop and they said need to change the oil pressure sensor, so they changed it but the problem still there, anyone know why??? or anyone solve the problem yet???

Last edited by Ahton; 03-08-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
brett murphy

Name: brett murphy
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 bmw e46
going to a thicker oil will mask the problem but it can also cause oil consumption,carbon build up,and even premature engine wear,rather than hidding the problem i would recommend fixing it. the spec for oil pressure at idle and normal opperating temp is .5 bar which is a little over 7 psi (not much) but that is the spec. the best solution would be to check it by taking out the oil pressure switch and finding an adapter to check it there. rather than bore you by rambling on i will tell you the most common problem that everyone has overlooked if its not the pressure switch and i doubt its the harness because problem only happens with warm engine at idle i would replace the oil filter housing. it has a pressure regulator incorporated in it that cant be replaced separatly and i have fixed this problem with this repair numerous times

Last edited by brett murphy; 05-26-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #24
JoeG

Name: JoeG
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 330xi
I have 99,000 on my 330xi. The low oil pressure problem started about 2000 miles ago. After 20 minutes of driving (once motor reaches operating temperature), the red oil light would flicker on and off at idle. Get the rpms up by 100-200 and the light goes out.

Thicker oil was not a cure. Fixing the small oil leak at the oil filter housing was not the cure either. The root cause of the problem was a split o ring on the end of the oil pick up tube that connects into the oil pump. Almost $800 of labor as they had to drop the entire front drive train (AWD) to drop the oil pan. Total cost $1015. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty when I bought the car - so my out of pocket was only $100. It has been 3 weeks since the repair and all is working fine!

Good luck.

Joe
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #25
Moody

Name: Moody
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 318i
If this topic still alive, i'd love to know if there is a confirmed solution for this red light thing, as i'm having the exact same problem as you all described.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
JoeG

Name: JoeG
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
If this topic still alive, i'd love to know if there is a confirmed solution for this red light thing, as i'm having the exact same problem as you all described.
As I stated in my post of July 5, 2011 the problem of Low Oil Pressure was resolved by replacing the Oil Pickup Tube. The O-Ring on the end that fits into the Oil Pump was split. This probably could have been fix by just replacing the O-Ring, but the mechanic opted to go with the assembly which was not expensive. The labor however to get to the bottom of the engine of a 330xi was expensive!

It has been 2 months now and a few thousand miles nary a single appearance of that dreaded Red Oil Light (except when the engine is not running and the key is on ;-) )
Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
benzeater

Name: benzeater
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 bmw 325ci
Lightbulb Hope this helps!

Hey guys, I had the SAME exact flickering problem on my 2004 325ci. Problem, at least in my situation was NOT any sensors, o-rings, etc.

The problem is the weight of the oil being used. The light is telling you that the oil pressure is too low...

HOW TO SOLVE:

Temporary fix:
1 small bottle of STP oil additive. It has a very high viscosity and will thicken your oil. This immediately fixed the flickering light as the heavier oil raised the pressure sufficiently. Note, this is only a temporary fix. Consider it a band-aid until you change your oil.

Permanent fix:
Oil change with a heavier weighted oil. I was running Full Synthetic 5w-30 (which is what steven's creek BMW recommended), and that seemed to be too thin. I changed to Mobil1 0W-40 European formula full synthetic during my oil change and it fixed the problem! A year later and I have never come across the light again

Alex

Last edited by benzeater; 03-04-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
Gtibaza

Name: Gtibaza
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2002 bmw 318ci e46
Bmw oil light flickering red

After driving on the motorway my oil light started to flicker red and the car seems to want to cut out. Have just booked my car into the garage to replace the oil sensor switch and realised its located under the manifold which is a big job. Switch cost me 5 but 80 to have it fitted so im replacing the breather pipes and breather servo which is also under the manifold. 200 to supply n fit breather bits n free to fit oil pressure switch. I hope this cures the red light.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
Gtibaza

Name: Gtibaza
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2002 bmw 318ci e46
Oil pressure light red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtibaza View Post
After driving on the motorway my oil light started to flicker red and the car seems to want to cut out. Have just booked my car into the garage to replace the oil sensor switch and realised its located under the manifold which is a big job. Switch cost me 5 but 80 to have it fitted so im replacing the breather pipes and breather servo which is also under the manifold. 200 to supply n fit breather bits n free to fit oil pressure switch. I hope this cures the red light.
Right guys i had the pressure switch changed along with air servo and still had same red oil light so had sump removed and mechanic noticed a filter inside which was blocked so removed cleaned it out and refitted. Also changed oil and sparkplugs. Yippppeee cars fine now all fixed.