Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
brian97e39

Name: brian97e39
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
FM Radio Problems

I have a 1997 528, with the DSP. For some reason the FM stations sut on and off, and Im in a large city where its never done this before. I sounds like a loose wire on the anntena or something but I dont know where tyo start looking. It does not not out if im in the weather band mode, which seems starange. Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian
Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
If I'm not mistaken, your antenna splitter is in your drivers' side rear post (rear left pillar) I'ld check w/BMW or someone who speacializes w/car stereos to be sure. Your actual antenna is the stripes across your rear window parrallel w/ rear window defrost lines. Some window tints with metallic layers will fluctuate your radio signals and the splitters are known to come loose on occassion - somethings you might check
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
brian97e39

Click here to set it up.
Thanks

I will look into that, although I dont have tint...yet...but I will look into that connection. I was just out driving and noticed that not only does the weather band work properly but so does the am stations, just seems wierd that it would only be fm, but Im still going to look into it.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
c1apton

It's more than likely your splitter. It has seperate connections for AM & FM reception. You didn't happen to have cleaned the inside of your rear window lately or had it detailed? Because you/they might have scratched one of the "strips" which would affect reception.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
brian97e39

Click here to set it up.
I just bought the car about a week ago, i got it through my Uncles BMW dealership...so I dont think they would have messed it up. But that splitter sounds like it could be the problem, does anyone know how to get in there?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
c1apton

First verify from BMW or stereo folks that it's in that location. (that's where it's at in most) If it is in rear post, rear seat has to be removed & weatherstrip and a few screws & the interior cover panel comes off. Then it's just a visual inspection - you'll probably see a wire hanging off or just loose. It's simple once you get to it. (another good source would be check with a Best Buy car stereo installion facility - they're good at shating info)
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
barbcoble

Name: barbcoble
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997
Smile

Hello all. I have a 1997 318i, and am having problem with the radio. We got a new radio, but can not find the weather band antenna. We have the main wires, in a cluster, the antenna wire from the outside antenna, but can not find the weather band wire. Can someone please tell me where it might have hiden itself.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
barbcoble

Name: barbcoble
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton View Post
If I'm not mistaken, your antenna splitter is in your drivers' side rear post (rear left pillar) I'ld check w/BMW or someone who speacializes w/car stereos to be sure. Your actual antenna is the stripes across your rear window parrallel w/ rear window defrost lines. Some window tints with metallic layers will fluctuate your radio signals and the splitters are known to come loose on occassion - somethings you might check
I have a convertible so the antenna is not in the window, when we got the new radio, it came with the cluster, antenna, and weather band, all cut off, so we know we should have the other wire, but can't find it. Tks.