Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
volvodefector79

Name: volvodefector79
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 303 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 525i
Cabin Air Filter... but a busted glove compartment!

Hello, all!

I hope that everybody is doing well. It's been a while since I posted, though I'm still a happy owner of a '95 525i (got it back in summer of '09 with 114k, now has 140k miles).

That's my baby, and I want to change the cabin air filter, but I'm pretty sure that I have to go through the glove compartment. There lies the rub...

My glove compartment lock is busted. I mean it locks and unlocks, but it will not release when both buttons are depressed.

Maybe I haven't searched hard enough (or don't know the right places), but I haven't found much on this. Anybody have ideas/knowledge/experience on how to either open this thing up temporarily (never use the glove compartment, really) OR for a full-fledged fix (I'm sure I'll have to replace the lock/latch, but need to know how to get it off in the first place...)?

Thanks! I'll be eagerly awaiting responses while I continue to search for solutions. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated. This is currently the only hang-up with mein auto - despite the somewhat sluggish automatic transmission, I love this car.

Thanks again... :-)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
andymish

Name: andymish
Title: Suspended License
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvodefector79 View Post
Hello, all!

I hope that everybody is doing well. It's been a while since I posted, though I'm still a happy owner of a '95 525i (got it back in summer of '09 with 114k, now has 140k miles).

That's my baby, and I want to change the cabin air filter, but I'm pretty sure that I have to go through the glove compartment. There lies the rub...

My glove compartment lock is busted. I mean it locks and unlocks, but it will not release when both buttons are depressed.

Maybe I haven't searched hard enough (or don't know the right places), but I haven't found much on this. Anybody have ideas/knowledge/experience on how to either open this thing up temporarily (never use the glove compartment, really) OR for a full-fledged fix (I'm sure I'll have to replace the lock/latch, but need to know how to get it off in the first place...)?

Thanks! I'll be eagerly awaiting responses while I continue to search for solutions. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated. This is currently the only hang-up with mein auto - despite the somewhat sluggish automatic transmission, I love this car.

Thanks again... :-)
Hello there. I was wondering if you could share us your knowledge on how I can easily change the cabin air filter. As you can see, I'm planning to help my friend change it on his car because he is quite a newbie to do it and it would really be helpful if we have a DIY to guide us to do it. I'll appreciate other who could also share some tips on changing it.