Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Samaraius

Name: Samaraius
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 BMW 540ia
Ews emulate and EML location? some questions for my 540

Hello fellas. I'm having quite some trouble regarding engine swap on my E39. I changed my 1996 mod MB62B35 (3,5l) engine and automatic transmission with a 2000 mod MB62TUB44 (4,4l) engine and trans.
I also changed the drive shaft, the differential and the output shafts.

So far so good. My problems starts when i relise i will need to change the cars entire wire harness because off the need for electric throttle control and a newer immobilizer system.

So my questions are as follows:

1. For the electric throttle to work, I need a EML unit to process data. This box is only to find in cars with electric-throttle, but I canít seem to find it searching the 540 chassi. I also searced ebay, only to find it for 7 and 8-series, not 5.

Where to look folks?

2. It seemís to me like thereís some changes on the immobilizer system for my 96 chassi with EWS 2 comparing it to the 540 chassi which have EWS 3.2
So I managed to get my hands on v3.2 which belongs to the DME for the 540 engine, but probably not all the right equipment for communication properly to work.
I came across this link to a ews immobilizer that emulates the ews http://www.ufodiag.com/BMW+EWS+immobilizer-hot/

Does someone really believe in this chip, is it just crap or may it just work?

Any answers it appreciated