Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
ashantiH

Name: ashantiH
Title: Read Only Club
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: toyota vios
When to swap out your car battery

When there is a lack of a sound when beginning your car, it’s a sound most people dread. To hear just a click-click-click whenever you turn the ignition is very frustrating. That sound could just mean you need a jump – but it could also mean your battery is quite much dead. Replacing your battery regularly can help you cut down on the likelihood of an unfortunate stranded moment.

How a car battery works

The essential essence of a car battery is the same. Chemical energy is created when diluted sulfuric acid runs across and around lead plates. Call on the battery for power, and it puts out electrical energy by running the acid over the lead. Eventually, the lead plates run out of charge, and they must be recharged before they could be used again. Eventually, the parts of the battery wear out.

Timing the replacement of the battery

Depending on the kind of conditions you use your car battery under, you can have to replace it as often as every two years. Most batteries, under average driving load, will last up to six years. Rough treatment of your battery could include things like:

Driving or storing your battery in extreme cold (like hard winters)

Not refilling the battery with distilled water regularly

Using add-on systems that take a lot of power

Jump-starting others’ cars on a regular basis

Any maintenance shop should be able to test the battery for you. If you are certain that the alternator and belts that charge the battery are good, and it tests with low charge, it is time to replace it.

Recycling your old car battery

An old, used-up car battery can still be useful. Never throw away a car battery – it can really damage the environment. Take the battery to a recycling center. A recycled battery would be worth a few dollars .