Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
ceez

Name: ceez
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 97 bmw 328i
please help

I'm new to this forum and I just got a 97 bmw 328i last month. I got the check engine light right after I got it and one of the codes was a bad spark plug. I changed it and did a tune up on the car and now I get the p0442 code for a evap system leak and p1421 and p1423 code for the secondary air injection system. when I first start the car up I do smell oil burning and I popped the hood and smoke was coming out from what looked like under the engine, could this be the evap leak?

I don't have a lot of luck with cars, I got this one because a few months ago my transmission went out on my old car, and I don't have the money for something brand new. thank you for reading and if you know anything about this please respond.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
95325i

Name: 95325i
Rate My Car: 290 / 340
Your Ride: 1997 540IA;2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
sorry about your issues with the this car. I has a 1999 328 up until last year. I am not the most mechanically inclined person myself but I had a code for my secondary air pump on my which was a 100 replacement cost. As far as the oil burning and smell I would take a guess that it sounds more like it could be the valve cover gaskets are leaking on to the exhaust manifold keep an eye on the oil level in the car. Maybe some one else on this or other more active forums might be able to help you with your issue.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
ceez

Name: ceez
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 97 bmw 328i
thanks for the reply, I didn't realize how slow this forum moved. I did more research on the smoke and I think your right about the gasket I just hope I can get it fixed before its too late.