Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
tree36

Name: tree36
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 284 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 325i e36
Control Arm or Power steering??

Okay so about 2 weeks ago i started to hear a funny almost rubbing sound from my steering. it usally only happens when i push my car or let the rpms go alittle high. and then when i stop and make a turn i hear a strange noise and the steering seems harder. So is it the power steering fulid or control arms? also can i replace my power steering fluid with mobil 1 synthetic ATF? ive heard it before but am not positive
Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
petriti

Name: petriti
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: BMW
If your steering makes strange noise in both ways, so right and left, for shure is the lack of the steering fluid, and you must add the fluid.
As far as I know (according to the my readings regarding the oils).

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is a multi-vehicle formula recommended for use in modern high performance automobiles, SUV's,
SUT's, vans and other light trucks requiring Mercon V performance levels
Recommended by Imperial Oil l for use in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles. Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006
and newer GM's and for improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles
Also recommended Imperial Oil for Fords that require a MERCON V fluid and for pre 2000 model years Ford light duty
vehicles.
Surpasses the off-highway power transmission requirements of Allison C-4
Suitable for Caterpillar TO-2 applications
Recommended for use in any power steering unit where an ATF is required

I hope that this will somehow help you.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
tree36

Name: tree36
Rate My Car: 284 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 325i e36
alright thanks. yeah im gonna go ahead and try the mobil 1. we'll see what happens i hope this is all my car needs.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
krislou80

Name: krislou80
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2009 BMW 323i
If you're already having a hard time managing your vehicle when you make turns, then its likely that one of your control arms has been compromised. Inspect your control arms for signs of wear and tear, and if one of them is in bad shape, then promptly replace it with a new control arm . if you are referring to on the actual steering wheel, then some grinding noise is normal. it's possible the electrical contacts for airbag/cruise/radio controls, whatever you have on the steering wheel are making some grinding noise.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
amath80

Name: amath80
Title: Suspended License
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2006 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by krislou80 View Post
If you're already having a hard time managing your vehicle when you make turns, then its likely that one of your control arms has been compromised. Inspect your control arms for signs of wear and tear, and if one of them is in bad shape, then promptly replace it with a new control arm . if you are referring to on the actual steering wheel, then some grinding noise is normal. it's possible the electrical contacts for airbag/cruise/radio controls, whatever you have on the steering wheel are making some grinding noise.

control arm regulate the movement of your front wheels each time you turn or corner. That way, your wheels can move without the risk of over steering.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Manolito

Name: Manolito
Rate My Car: 338 / 340
Your Ride: (2) '97 328s; '04 330; '04 325iT
Not sure what a rubbing sound sounds like. If you have a hydraulic pump whine, I would suggest pulling off the reservoir and cleaning the screen when you replace the fluid. I could not get my reservoir in two without breaking it, so I just flushed it several times with paint thinner. I put standard ATF back in it and the noise went away. I also replaced the power steering hoses and the hose from the PVC valve to the oil pan to get rid of those pesky oil leaks while I was under there. BMW does not carry the PVC hose, because a standard hydraulic hose is better than the original part and fits it.