Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion > BMW News And RSS Feeds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW News And RSS Feeds BMW RSS feeds and news

Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
capnhook

Name: capnhook
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 M3
98 M3...first post, radio question

Hi guys.... I biught a 98 M3 earlier this year and I am going to store it now for the Winter.... I live in Canada. The Car is AWSOME, but it didn't come with any maintenance history, manuals etc. and I am going to remove the battery for the winter. I think I will loose my radio code in the process and I was wondering if there is a way to acccess the codes on-line somewhere.... thanks....Dan
Old 10-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
To my knowledge, there are no online sources for radio codes, understandably enough to discourage theft. If no record of the radio code came with the car, then you have to go to the dealer, I'm not sure what if anything the charge might be, somewhere I heard $75, but certainly ask beforehand.

Not having any service records is a bit of a high wire act, particularly with a car like this that can invite "immature" driving and neglect of service and maintenance from a previous owner. Do as best you can to find out where and by whom the car had been serviced, to get some idea of where you stand. The less you're able to recover that data, the more you're going to have to establish a new baseline, including plugs, oil, air and oil filters, microfilter, complete coolant flush (radiator and block), transmission and differential oils, condition of control arms, bushings, and ball joints, brakes, shocks and struts, condition of battery (with winter coming). It'd be a good thing to pick up a Bentley manual, it's rather thorough on what needs to be done, and how to do it.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
capnhook

Name: capnhook
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 M3
Hi.... thanks for your help. I will see what the dealer says. I bought the car..... believe it or not, on E-bay and it was from a very reputable on-line dealer. The car is georgeous and seems to have been very well cared for. It was from Florida. I was able to get info on where it was serviced ... oil etc. and I've had it checked over very carefully as far as front end etc. Not sure what happened to the previous owner, I tried to look up his name in the phone book where he lived and there's nothing there now. I do plan on having all the fluids replaced, as you suggested, way too good a car to take a chance. Anyway... thanks for your help.... Dan