Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
pablo74514

Name: pablo74514
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 41 / 340
Your Ride: 330ci cabrio
E46 Factory SAT NAV Probelem

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I've got a 2002 German Inported E46 in the UK. It has a factory fitted BMW Sat Nav. It didnt come with a CD.

I purchased a new GB + Ireland CD and put this in. For some reason, the compass pointer is stuck on a German map and does not re-direct itself to the current location in the UK.

Is there any way of reseting the GPS or the sat nav so it shows my location in the uk?

Do you think there maybe a problem with the GPS reciever in the car?

I can manually scroll the map to the UK and zoom into the roads. But it doesnt automatically show my location and when move when im in motion.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
bimmerjack

Name: bimmerjack
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 323I
Hi, Pablo it sounds like your are not getting any satlites singles to your
nav/computer, check your aerial connection at the back of the nav/computer, or it could
the map disc as not been loaded correctly. your NAV system requires the Almanac to be loaded into NVR. This is basically a course orbital parameter lookup table that says what 'birds' are available and in what position in the sky, for a given date/time. Almanac data is only used for the initial startup to give the system an indication of what birds are in sight and once one is locked, the system will then download the ephemeris data for that particular bird which is a much more accurate and up-to-date table of orbital data.

The Almanac is only valid for a certain length of time and if the position of the GPS has moved significantly since the almanac was loaded, it will have to do a 'sky search' to pick up a good bird to enable an almanac download. Once it has this and can collect sufficient birds with valid ephemeris data, it will be good to provide positioning info.

Now, some GPS systems that require a sky search can take 30 minutes or more to acquire a good bird that is up long enough to download the almanac, so you really need to go to a nice open field with a good view of the sky and horizon (if possible), leave the system powered up for 30 minutes to an hour and in that time, if there is nothing wrong with the system, you will get a good almanac downloaded, from then on things should sort themselves out.

Last edited by bimmerjack; 10-10-2009 at 06:34 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
There is also a reset calibration procedure that requires driving around in a circle/figure 8 with the nav activated. It should be in your owners/user manual
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)