Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
e39 bimmer

Name: e39 bimmer
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998/540i Sport 6 Speed
E39 - Resetting the service indicator lights

Resetting the service indicator lights on e39 BMW's is relatively the same as with e34 cars.

The service indicator lights are reset by connecting pin 7 to pin 19 (ground) (see illustration below for pin identification.). The proper way to do this is to have the ignition off and place a jumper wire between pins 7 and 19 (make sure you get the right pins!). Then turn the ignition switch to position 2 (run, NOT start), when the service light goes out, turn the ignition off. This should take a few seconds for an oil reset, 8-10 seconds for an inspection reset. All green lights should come on when the service light goes out. The difference between resetting the oil service light and the inspection light is in the length of time you have the jumper in place with the ignition on. This means that if you are resetting the oil service light, you should turn off the ignition immediately after the light goes out. If you leave the jumper in too long with the ignition on, you will perform an inspection reset as well and the next service indicator will come up as an oil service rather than an inspection.

(Note: jumping pins 11 & 14 works as a remote starter, comes in handy when adjusting the valves.)

The service light reset tools that I have seen connect to 3 pins of the diagnostic connector: pin 7,14 and 19. The connection to 14 is to power the tool. The less sophisticated tool has only one switch that connects pin 7 to 19. While those pins are tied together a red LED blinks to measure time. You count blinks and manually turn off the tool after the appropriate number of counts for oil or inspection reset. The more sophisticated tool has two switches, one for oil reset, one for inspection. It must have a built in timer that jumps pin 7 to 19 for the correct time.

Notes on the latest model cars (93 on?):

(can someone please verify this?) It is claimed that the above procedure doesnt quite work on the most recent model year cars. Instead of waiting for the lights to go out, you have to disconnect the jumper between 7 and 19 while the ignition is still on.

To reset OIL SERVICE, maintain the connection for approximately 3 seconds.
To reset INSPECTION, maintain the connection for approximately 12 seconds.

e39bimmer
www.uniquecustoms.org
Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
535ie39

Name: 535ie39
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: bmw535i
reset service and oil light for E39 535i v8?

i have tried to connect the pin 7 and 19, and turn the key to 2 ( run, not start) , but the light still not reset? any idears? my car is a 1999 E39 v8. 535i, same configuration as US 540. any new way to do it?
thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
What is described does work. I however, spent the 80 or so bucks on a reset tool so I wouldn't have to count pins and seconds. The reset tools can be found on ebay and such, and all they do is basically what e39 said, just electronically. Option number 2, just costs a few bucks.
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
gemnilvr

Name: gemnilvr
Rate My Car: 274 / 340
Your Ride: 2002 530i
these can be reset from the dash with no tools needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Evil View Post
What is described does work. I however, spent the 80 or so bucks on a reset tool so I wouldn't have to count pins and seconds. The reset tools can be found on ebay and such, and all they do is basically what e39 said, just electronically. Option number 2, just costs a few bucks.
These tools are not necessary for the e39 series because i reset them myself from the left reset button on my instrument cluster! just go to www.alldatapro.com and search for "resetting the service interval indicator(sii)
Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
splatticus

Name: splatticus
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535ie39 View Post
i have tried to connect the pin 7 and 19, and turn the key to 2 ( run, not start) , but the light still not reset? any idears? my car is a 1999 E39 v8. 535i, same configuration as US 540. any new way to do it?
thanks
The sequence is different on some. On my 1999 528i, had to set key to position 2, connect pin 7 to ground for a few seconds, then disconnect pin 7 while key still on. If you are watching the console to see the reset occur, it never will. Reset occurs when pin 7 is disconnected.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
kung Fu Master

Name: kung Fu Master
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 220i touring
Hi, need help. Iv got a 520i SE TOURING AUTO (1998) can you tell me if this means its an E39? and if so would putting a jumper between pins 7 & 19 reset my service inspection light. Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
rich8818

Name: rich8818
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 97 528i
Smile

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I followed the instructions on this thread and it was a cakewalk!!!

I have a '97 528i..... oil change was simple, just take your time and be sure not to ruin the filter cap or the rubber O-ring. I read here and on several other forums about filling the oil filter, and in this oil change I decided to fill it up(as best I could without making a mess) before putting the filter cap back on. Every other oil change I have done on other vehicles I fill the filters.....This was my first time changing a BMW.

As for the oil light indicator reset..... easy as it gets. Found some spare wire, cut it to length, placed it in keyhole 7 then in into keyhole 19. Had my wife turn the ignition to position 2, held it for 3-4 seconds and removed the wire from keyhole 7 and bingo! all green indicator lights came on!

FYI, this was the FIRST time i've been on this forum and I am now a dedicated reader!!

Thanks all who contributed to this thread!!!!

Saved me a crap load of cash!!!!

Rich
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
rich7669

Name: rich7669
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 520
Reset

Changed my oil today and I just wanna say thanx to all of you. It took me 3 tries, but my lights are green now. If I were to take it to the shop they'd charge me 2 yards just to reset the lights. I've got a 520 and fortunately, the pin holes are numbered. 7 & 19 worked just fine. Thanx fellas.

Now, I have a humming noise and I'm wondering if its a suspension issue or if I need some gear oil in the rear end. I just changed my front wheel bearings a few weeks ago. Any ideas?

rich
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
colinp

Name: colinp
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 530d Touring
Hi all 1st post here, the picture at the top is not working, could someone please tell me where these pins are located??
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #10
rich7669

Name: rich7669
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinp View Post
Hi all 1st post here, the picture at the top is not working, could someone please tell me where these pins are located??
Hi,

When you look at the engine, to your left you'll see something that looks like it screws off. It's by the ABS pump. Unscrew it. Your pins are there. Thats where your OBD II is also. I hope that helps.

Rich
Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
jvwardle

Name: jvwardle
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i E34
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatticus View Post
The sequence is different on some. On my 1999 528i, had to set key to position 2, connect pin 7 to ground for a few seconds, then disconnect pin 7 while key still on. If you are watching the console to see the reset occur, it never will. Reset occurs when pin 7 is disconnected.
This is the method had to use on our 1994 525i.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #12
CaniPeento

Name: CaniPeento
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: BMW
if you are resetting the oil service light, you should turn off the ignition immediately after the light goes out.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
alandra516

Name: alandra516
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 BMW 528i
Unhappy Re-setting oil change indicator

Hello, I am new to this forum so excuse me if i screw up. I have a 2000 528i and I change my oil today but cannot re-set the indicator. My car has a series of green bars. I just bought the car and even though the indicators where still at 3 green bars I deciced to change oil. I have read all the forums here and the suggestions to re-set but none of them have worked. (shorting pin 7 & 17 --pushing in odometer and then turning ignition on) Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Mike Adams

Name: Mike Adams
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 528 I
On my 1998 528 I had to do tis differrently, I tried crossing pin 7 to pin 19

This process didn't work for my 1998 528 I. I had to ground the pin #7 to the chassis and then bingo all the lights came back on. I tried several times using 7 and 19 to no avail.

Thanks for the help guys keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39 bimmer View Post
Resetting the service indicator lights on e39 BMW's is relatively the same as with e34 cars.

The service indicator lights are reset by connecting pin 7 to pin 19 (ground) (see illustration below for pin identification.). The proper way to do this is to have the ignition off and place a jumper wire between pins 7 and 19 (make sure you get the right pins!). Then turn the ignition switch to position 2 (run, NOT start), when the service light goes out, turn the ignition off. This should take a few seconds for an oil reset, 8-10 seconds for an inspection reset. All green lights should come on when the service light goes out. The difference between resetting the oil service light and the inspection light is in the length of time you have the jumper in place with the ignition on. This means that if you are resetting the oil service light, you should turn off the ignition immediately after the light goes out. If you leave the jumper in too long with the ignition on, you will perform an inspection reset as well and the next service indicator will come up as an oil service rather than an inspection.

(Note: jumping pins 11 & 14 works as a remote starter, comes in handy when adjusting the valves.)

The service light reset tools that I have seen connect to 3 pins of the diagnostic connector: pin 7,14 and 19. The connection to 14 is to power the tool. The less sophisticated tool has only one switch that connects pin 7 to 19. While those pins are tied together a red LED blinks to measure time. You count blinks and manually turn off the tool after the appropriate number of counts for oil or inspection reset. The more sophisticated tool has two switches, one for oil reset, one for inspection. It must have a built in timer that jumps pin 7 to 19 for the correct time.

Notes on the latest model cars (93 on?):

(can someone please verify this?) It is claimed that the above procedure doesnt quite work on the most recent model year cars. Instead of waiting for the lights to go out, you have to disconnect the jumper between 7 and 19 while the ignition is still on.

To reset OIL SERVICE, maintain the connection for approximately 3 seconds.
To reset INSPECTION, maintain the connection for approximately 12 seconds.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Hashad

Name: Hashad
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: bmw e39
question

l want to know to reset oil and inspection and l want to know how to chane bmw fuel pump e 39