Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #16
Anette

Name: Anette
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 96' 328 Touring
I also have two sets of wheels, 17" summer+tires, 15" for winter+tires , there is no problem you can change them in your own garage, you dont have to go to service the only problem you need a place where to keep other set , when its not his season

I am hoping that at this "winter" we will have snow
Old 01-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
smokeewon

Name: smokeewon
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 530i
great winter weather

We've had everything from freezing rain over a layer of four inch snow to heavy snow storms that just dumped more than a foot of snow here and the number of people that have decided to visit either ditches or their fellow man in the next lane is staggering. All season tires on snow covered with ice is just as exciting as as loafers on same. Although the slow motion turns and all the running into the car in front of you because ABS stands for anything but stopping, and it is not appearent that one needs to drive around.., not into what is in from of you when the brakes start pulsing..., sorry, this is turning into another vent session.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
smokeewon

Name: smokeewon
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 530i
witeshark. I am sorry for what I said to you. It is in fact true that narrower snow tires are better than wider ones because more weight is applied over a smaller area thus increasing the friction that is available over the contact patch of the tire. For that reason it is desirable to get the narrower of the wheels that fit on your rim that does not apprieciably affect your speedo while driving. These things being said, I am not going to be driving around on skinny tires and most vette owners won't either. We have performance cars and as such there is a requirement that we have some traction when the weather warms up a bit. That requirement means that there is a limit on how narrow one wants to go with their winter tires.
I find that blizzaks give me the ultimate in traction in black ice conditons and anything else winterwise. They just plain suck when you push them in moderate weather so I tend torward pirellis that have the inner carass of their performance tires with the outer rubber of there winter ice formula. This combination worked well on my subaru and my crx. The blizzacks were very nice on my civic ex. I had both the ex and the crx at the same time so I was able to do the comparo of the two. My driving style and skill made the pirellis way more enjoyable for me. I was married then and my wife drove the ex. Those tires are better for those that are not really driving when they drive.