Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Title: Upgraded Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Coolant Leak, Fuck (long post)

Last night I pull into my garage and notice that I leaked coolant from the night before. I check the level in my car and it is a little low. So, I top it off last night. I checked underneath this morning and didn't see any coolant.

I drove to work, 10 miles, and decided to check my coolant level in the parking garage in work. I only waited for 30 seconds, popped the hood and started to open the cap, stupid fucking move. I heard the sound of fluid coming out of the radiator, then the pressure built up and before you know it, there is a fountain of green spilling into my engine bay, burning my hand and flooding the parking garage floor. Double fuck, I dropped the radiator cap into the engine bay and it landed on the plastic drop pan, out of reach.

By this time, I am so fucking pissed that I burned my hand, dropped the cap and couldn't reach the damn thing and I don't know why my car is leaking coolant.

I run to the stealership, .5 miles, from work, get a new cap, buy some coolant ($20, raped in the ass), and some distilled water. I go to work, and at lunch go down to my car, refresh the coolant and am able to get the stupid cap.

My question is, how do I determine where the coolant is coming from. My car has 58000 miles on the clock. I had the radiator replaced at 37000 miles. I bought a new water pump and thermostat and they are sitting in my garage. I was planning to change those parts since BMW reccommends replacing them every 60000 miles.

Since my car has coolant everywhere, it seems as if it would be difficult to find the leak. I replaced the cap. I will install the new water pump and thermostat tomorrow night. Any ideas, what else I should look for?

How many gallons of coolant and distilled water should I buy? Can I use any other coolant besides bmw grade?

Sorry for the long post. I am still pissed because I burned my hand and have to use my left hand to whack off!

540i with some mods
Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Jeeze I just went through this. In my case 2 bottles of each. But obviously a totally different car. Tons of luck!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
I guess you win the move of the day The coolant will leave a white telltale residue, so wash down the engine bay, and start fresh. Likely usual leaky spots are hose ends and fittings; that's where I'd start. Try the new cap you bought, maybe the old one went bad.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
dinan540

Click here to set it up.
Thanks Dudesky. I have the new cap installed. I will replace the pump and thermostat and go from there. I had the white residue last night, but lost it in a blaze of burning green.

540i with some mods
Old 04-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Antiburn

Name: Antiburn
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 193 / 340
Your Ride: 92 525, 88 325 hardtop'ed vert and 83 320iS
While your under your hood pop the intake beauity cover off and take a look below the intake. If you see coolant your going to need a intake/vally pan reseal. Its very common on 4.4's to have that leaking. But back to the point, while under there get a flashlignt and in the front left of the intake (the side of the oil filter) you can see the vally pan bolts, coolant usually collects there.

Before you go and replace parts I havent read of up your post but have you started on that 60k tune up yet. if so I would go over my work again if you replace the rad hoses or anything else coolant related.

And buy 2 gallons of coolant.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
cainchapman

Name: cainchapman
Rate My Car: 127 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 540LE
The heater control pump (against the firewall on my car) failed and slowly lost coolant. It is under a pair of solenoids for the LHS & RHS control. It was very easy to replace and didn't cost much.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
dinan540

Click here to set it up.
Thanks for the help guys. I did the 60K tune up and the hoses looked good. I am replacing the water pump and thermostat for preventative measures tonight and I will check those areas.. I had bought the parts about a month ago. The 4.4 engines have had issues with the pumps failing and the thermostat failing.

540i with some mods
Old 04-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
dinan540

Click here to set it up.
Where is the purge on the 4.4. I am too lazy to look at my bentley right now?

540i with some mods
Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
devinwwu

Name: devinwwu
Rate My Car: 49 / 340
Your Ride: `00 540i6 Alpine White, `96 740iL Aspen Silber
that sucks man, i hate coolant issues. one thing that i have noticed is that the bmw collant system stays hot for quite a while after the car is off so you have to wait at least a couple hours before you remove the cap or risk having it shoot out at you and burn hands. i'm going to be in seattle for the weekend if you wanted some help. i obviously don't have a car to get to your place but am always down to lend a hand.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Yatti

Name: Yatti
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 540I Sedan (M-Sport)
Sheisty... what did the dealership say? We havent had any issues (YET) related to our 540...

My Himachi Server Is=
Old 04-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
dinan540

Click here to set it up.
I just went to the dealership for the coolant. I am exploring the issue more tonight with some jackstands and a good light, replacing the water pump and thermostat. Thanks for the offer Devin, I will be in walla walla this weekend.

540i with some mods
Old 04-28-2006, 02:34 AM   #12
devinwwu

Name: devinwwu
Rate My Car: 49 / 340
Your Ride: `00 540i6 Alpine White, `96 740iL Aspen Silber
i'm here right now and will be tomorrow too. i have some stuff going on tomorrow but give me a call and i may be able to make it out there to lend a hand
Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
Cover up the electronics and then just spray water in to clear up the gunk and hopefully you will be able to see where it is leaking.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #14
bartb

Name: bartb
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 02 540I
Cool my RAD gives me the creeps...

HELP ME
2002 540i
i was driving the vehicle, and i noticed the TEMP go up quickly pulled over... let cool, filled it up, then i noticed COOLANT flowing out the side of the rad... looked like a crack.... STEAM everywhere... people giving WEIRD LOOKS
so i purchase a new RAD... brought it home ... pulled the old rad out, and notice as i was putting everything together the upper rad hose was leaking, a stream of coolant as i was bleeding,, and im sure i had the thing on perfectly, with the u clip in place.
i figured it was the SEAL, in the hose... could i purchase them at the dealership, i was gonna do.... UPPER/ LOWER/ and BOTTOM seals and u clips, just to make sure....
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
the BEHR was the original, 160k time to go, the water pump has no play or whine.... expansion tank is ok, just not a firm connection, I THINK THE SEAL is shot, since the crack probably cooked my hoses
CAN I HAVE SOME INPUT from you e39 lovers...

THE AFTER MARKET RAD is exact same, am i thinking correct.... RAD HOSES NEED THE INNER SEAL/U CLIPS???

all i can think about is, coolant pouring out of the seal... rad hose connection... and damn its the worst feeling....

email me :
BART_BLICHARZ@HOTMAIL.COM
i know its easter... but 1:23am and i cant sleep

cheers