Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
Kumhos?

has anyone here driven on Kumhos?

I am replacing Michelin Pilot sports. Which...were the best tires ever...but they were 900 a set and only lasted 9-10 thousand miles.

so im looking at Kumhos, they seem to have good reviews. Im curious what they are like at the limit though. My michelins were very responsive and gave great feedback at the limit.

so...anyone?

also what other tires are good. Remeber they are low profiled, meaning i want something that will be resistent to thread lining(following the dents in the road)

Im looking to spend 600ish for four tires. No more.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
check out Conti tires (Continental). German company, the quality is awesome. They're 10,000 times better than our Michelins were...
other than that, Pirellis are cool, but they cost a lot.
How about Toyos or Yokos?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
pswirley

Name: pswirley
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 222 / 340
Your Ride: 93 325i
Yokohama are a really soft rubber and mine wore down after one summer of mountain killing. They were very good but got a little loose sometimes. I then had Kumho which I dont mind at all and they are a quality and reliable tire. I am currently running conti's and I hate to say it but they are my least favorite of the three. They tramline and are uncomfortable and I dont feel that I get a very nice grip at all at high speeds.

For the record, I was running 45 YOKO and KUMHO and am at a 40 Conti so I know that is a factor in my displeasure with them. I got Conti's because I have heard many great things about them.

Theres my tire story.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
BMWFreak

Name: BMWFreak
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 213 / 340
Your Ride: 1987 325i Convertible
I have yokohamas and theyre awesome. Theyre supposedly the one of the best tires for the stock bottlecap rims.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
You can probably pick up some Hankook Ventus Rs2 Z212 or azeniz 615rt pretty cheap tires with lots of grop, the only thing is they wear fast (200 treadwear ratings) but have great grip, not sure how grippy you want to go, although you won't be able to get either through the tirerack, might try edgeracing.com at least for a price idea. I have also heard great things about the dunlop kdw but i have no idea on pricing.

I believe the Kumho ecsta mx is a pretty good tire and you would probably be happy with them. Check out tirerack's reviews and ratings they usually have a lot of good info.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
You can probably pick up some Hankook Ventus Rs2 Z212 or azeniz 615rt pretty cheap tires with lots of grop, the only thing is they wear fast (200 treadwear ratings) but have great grip, not sure how grippy you want to go, although you won't be able to get either through the tirerack, might try edgeracing.com at least for a price idea. I have also heard great things about the dunlop kdw but i have no idea on pricing.

I believe the Kumho ecsta mx is a pretty good tire and you would probably be happy with them. Check out tirerack's reviews and ratings they usually have a lot of good info.
sounds about right. Ill check those others.

As far as grip needed...i know i wont get as much as i did with the michelins, but i want comprable.

I wont ever purchase pirellis because my parents had them on their volvo when one exploded at 45mph with no explanation, causing them to flip their car. Mom almost died. Luckily volvo saved her. Haven't liked pirellis since then. PLus we had em on the saab when we first bought it...not the best grip.

I drive 35mies of mountain road to get to school everyday...so tire wear should be atleast 15k with that.

I had continentals on there when we purchased the car. Were not stable at high speeds and trimlined like none other. (Although i did do 135 with em and they were ok...but after a little wear they were no good)

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)