Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
MCCHRISTY1

Name: MCCHRISTY1
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 530I
1994 530i heater motor.

Hi all,

I am looking for any hints or tricks for replacing the fan motor on my 1994 530I. It looks like I have to pull the dash.

Ron
Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
smokeewon

Name: smokeewon
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 530i
it is not accessible throught the dash. Take off the engine cover, remove the rubber hood seal from the bulkhead, and take the two nuts off the water resz. Take a set of needle nose pliers and carefully pull the three clips from the heater manifold cover on the drivers side of the fire wall. Remove the remaining plastic nuts from the plastic cover. They hold on the wire cover and a few other items. You may also have a screw in there on the drivers side that can be gotten to with a long phillips. Once all the nuts re off, oh yeah, you might want to disconnect the battery too because you are close to that nice little positive bat post. Pull the plastic cover off the firewall and you will see...., another cover. It is held in place with "very small spring clips along the bottom and will come out if you pull down a bit to clear the upper lip. Now comes the fun part. There is a stap that holds the motor in place. For this you will place a small screwdriver or any other tool that will roughly fit the whole that is in the middle of the round part of the tab. I don't recommend that you just pull on it as getting the strap back in place on the top and bottom is a beast. Once you've done all this, pull the motor out of its cradle being careful to guide off the two wires that connect to the motor. Don't worry about how they fit as there is only one way to install the wires back on as you will soon notice. Reverse the procedure to put it back in and you should be all set. With the motor out you can see the back of the coil and all the rest of the goodies we BMW owners have stuff in our cars. Enjoy.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
smokeewon

Click here to set it up.
Ops I did forget one tip. When putting the strap back on stick your screwdriver into one of the holes in the upper strap and match it to one on the lower strap. Then use that leverage to tighten the strap as you guide the plastic pin back into its hole. Ah..., the plastic strap is on the cover. Glad I thought of that..., the metal clip on the motor can be released by simply taping the raised portion of the clip. There is a hole in that part of the clip. You are smashing this down and expanding the diameter of the clip. When you are ready to reinstall the clip just reform the clip back to its former shape and clip it back on. It is easier said than done though.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeewon View Post
Ops I did forget one tip. When putting the strap back on stick your screwdriver into one of the holes in the upper strap and match it to one on the lower strap. Then use that leverage to tighten the strap as you guide the plastic pin back into its hole. Ah..., the plastic strap is on the cover. Glad I thought of that..., the metal clip on the motor can be released by simply taping the raised portion of the clip. There is a hole in that part of the clip. You are smashing this down and expanding the diameter of the clip. When you are ready to reinstall the clip just reform the clip back to its former shape and clip it back on. It is easier said than done though.
dam man.

assuming uve done this before.

Next time(for anything) take pictures and do a write up if you have the time.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
smokeewon

Click here to set it up.
Yeah..., does it show? LOL. Spent a little time on nuclear subs and I've changed out a few more bearings than I care to remember, so when that sucker started squeeeeeeeeeling at me I had in mind to do the same thing. The construction of the motor actually makes that just too much of a pain. The frame is not that bad but it is the fact that the shaft was heated and the two squirel cages were pressed on. Getting those off and requires doing same but I don't have the low heat oven and all that crap to do it with. Well it really isn't a low heat oven. It is a coil that the assembly sits in and hysteresis (switching magnetic field direction machine) is used to heat up the shaft without causing the plastic to melt. Anyway I digress, I squirted some P blaster on the bearings and hoped it was last the winter. It didn't and I had to get' er' dun during the last short "heatwave" we had here in Chicago. Ahhh sweat silence. At least until my fan exploded at somewhere above 5 grand. New hood this spring, them damn dimples in it are just plain ugly, new rad hoses, new powersteering hoses, new rad, new MAF, new filter housing. If this ain't a reason to go electric fan I don't know what is. I am still coming across pieces of fan blade.