Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 7 Series (E23, E32, E38, E65, E66)
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

7 Series (E23, E32, E38, E65, E66) General discussion and technical help for all year 7 series cars.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
sandersnsandy

Name: sandersnsandy
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 740i
Angry 97 740i engine trouble

Im new to this site so I hope im in the right place to ask---My problem started with a whiring noise sounding something like a tension pully bearing.Put diagnostic and got back codes P1186,P1187,PO300,PO301,PO302,PO305 an PO306 I Then replaced o2 sensors (pre cat) and cleared codes.No new codes have come back. Whiring noise still there and smoking like a freight train.Smoke smells like burning plastic/rubber.I removed oil filler cap only to find its pulling a very strong vacume.With cap off whiring noise stops but smokes just as bad.It only has 94,000 on the clock and I havent had any trouble before now.Dont know where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated,
Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
I think one of the accessories may be stuck, and the smoke may from the belt (which will soon break)
Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
sandersnsandy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
I think one of the accessories may be stuck, and the smoke may from the belt (which will soon break)
I wish it was that easy. It Has a serpintine belt and seems to be running smothly along the pulleys.
thanks anyway
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
hmm. how about the waterpump? Tat might be the whinning noise?

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Antiburn

Name: Antiburn
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 193 / 340
Your Ride: 92 525, 88 325 hardtop'ed vert and 83 320iS
Its your pcv valve which is causing that train whistle noise, also the reason your blowing smoke, all that oil vapor is getting burnt. Dealership will change you 6+ hrs labor to remove intake and repalce pcv valve. If you want to do it yourself a 97 v8 has drive by cable, so theres no unpluging the throttel, theres alot of cables and hoses that you have to remove.

Parts might run you about 100$. While your intake is off its a good time to replace your valley pan and water pump, since they both tend to leak and fail down the road.

Also with all those codes im sure they are all missfire faults or fuel trim faults which is unmetered air leaks. Once the pcv is replaced clear them and they shouldnt come back unless something else is also wrong. With all the oil your blowing I know its cloging up your catalitic converters causing premature failure, and they go for $1700 per cat.

Last edited by Antiburn; 03-11-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
sandersnsandy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
hmm. how about the waterpump? Tat might be the whinning noise?
Just replaced water pump last summer and it seems OK thanks for the imput Will intertain any idea.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
sandersnsandy

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn View Post
Its your pcv valve which is causing that train whistle noise, also the reason your blowing smoke, all that oil vapor is getting burnt. Dealership will change you 6+ hrs labor to remove intake and repalce pcv valve. If you want to do it yourself a 97 v8 has drive by cable, so theres no unpluging the throttel, theres alot of cables and hoses that you have to remove.

Parts might run you about 100$. While your intake is off its a good time to replace your valley pan and water pump, since they both tend to leak and fail down the road.

Also with all those codes im sure they are all missfire faults or fuel trim faults which is unmetered air leaks. Once the pcv is replaced clear them and they shouldnt come back unless something else is also wrong. With all the oil your blowing I know its cloging up your catalitic converters causing premature failure, and they go for $1700 per cat.
codes were for the 02 sensors so that part is ok. And I think your on the right track with the pcv valve. Icouldnt think of anything that would put that much vacume in the crankcase. I will leave a note after I replace the pcv valve. Thanks for the imput!!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
brett murphy

Name: brett murphy
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 bmw e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersnsandy View Post
Im new to this site so I hope im in the right place to ask---My problem started with a whiring noise sounding something like a tension pully bearing.Put diagnostic and got back codes P1186,P1187,PO300,PO301,PO302,PO305 an PO306 I Then replaced o2 sensors (pre cat) and cleared codes.No new codes have come back. Whiring noise still there and smoking like a freight train.Smoke smells like burning plastic/rubber.I removed oil filler cap only to find its pulling a very strong vacume.With cap off whiring noise stops but smokes just as bad.It only has 94,000 on the clock and I havent had any trouble before now.Dont know where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated,
the noise you hear isnt a pulley the crankcase vent valve has failed.the excessive crankcase pressure is pulling oil into the intake and being burnt . this valve is also refered to as the intake backing plate. it has a rubber diaphram. this also causes lean fuel trim faults which led you to replace the o2 sensors by mistake the faults will come back.it is difficult to replace the backing plate without removing the intake but it can be done. i would suggest a intake reseal though and remove the intake to save you alot of trouble and while you have the intake off i would replace the valley pan underneath it which is known to fail and cause a coolant leak. if you plan to keep this car just get all the issues behind you at once and enjoy it
Old 07-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
antiburn and brett, right on the money.
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)