Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

5-Series General discussion and technical help for 5-series BMWs.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
yech22

Name: yech22
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1987 325is, 1998 540i
Unhappy Help with no starting 540i 6 spd with dinan stage 4 cpu management

It all started when my 98 540i with stage 4 dinan software stopped starting. The starter wasn't turning over and I took it to a shop in shoreline. They said my starter was broken and I paid to get that replaced. The starter turned over but thats all. No startup. They then said my EWS was at fault and I would have to go to the dealership, I got a new one it programed by BMW of Bellevue. Car worked fine after this but...a few days later.... same problem, starter was turning over but no start. Had BMW of Bellevue look at again, they said that the information that was loaded was loading incorrectly. After paying for another tow they programmed it again.I got my car back and whoops 4 days later... same problem. I took it back to BMW of Bellevue, and they now said that my DME was at fault. I had a new DME put in and re-programed again. Got my car back and again 4-5 days later here I am. Same problem minus $2000 bucks from my pocket! I don't feel 100% comfortable with the dealership and feel ripped off about now, does anyone know what this issue could be? Please help!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Title: Upgraded Member
Click here to set it up.
That sucks. As for an honest opinion, check out wedell electric on Roosevlet way or Car Tender on Capital Hill, they specialize in german cars. Hope this helps. Electronics are not my forte, so I don't have any good feedback for you.

Paul

540i with some mods
Old 02-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Antiburn

Name: Antiburn
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 193 / 340
Your Ride: 92 525, 88 325 hardtop'ed vert and 83 320iS
With your software you have Im surprized the dealership didnt say take it out and see if the problem persists. Maybe its causing your DME to give the EWS a poor, wrong or even no signal at all to start. Yes, it did start before with the software installeb but something could have gone bad causing that software to project another implausable signal.

You could try complaining to management at Bellveue that you want to be refunded one tow bill due to there neglegance of not loading it correctly. Ive seen customers do that before and get something out of it.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
juautio

Name: juautio
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 E39
Same problem!

Hello!

I have the same exact problem. I have E39 (1999,528i, automatic) which
i bought 4 months ago from a BMW-reseller. It worked fine during the first
3 months but now I have the same problem as you do!

The car has been repaired at least 4 times and it works ok for a couple
of days and then it won't start!

They told me that they ordered a new EWS from Germany (I live in Finland)
ja reprogrammed it -> didn't help. Then they updated a newer software
for it -> didn't help.

Are you still having the same problem or do you know any remedy for it?
My car is currently at authorized BMW-seller but they are baffled about
the problem. I found this at the internet:

Intermittent crank/No start
Model:
E36-328i (M52), M3 (S52), and E39-528i (M52)
Complaint:
The engine will crank intermittently but will not start.
Remedy:
The DME should be reprogrammed using MODIC P9.0 or higher.
Once reprogrammed clear all faults

Best Wishes,
Jukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by yech22 View Post
It all started when my 98 540i with stage 4 dinan software stopped starting. The starter wasn't turning over and I took it to a shop in shoreline. They said my starter was broken and I paid to get that replaced. The starter turned over but thats all. No startup. They then said my EWS was at fault and I would have to go to the dealership, I got a new one it programed by BMW of Bellevue. Car worked fine after this but...a few days later.... same problem, starter was turning over but no start. Had BMW of Bellevue look at again, they said that the information that was loaded was loading incorrectly. After paying for another tow they programmed it again.I got my car back and whoops 4 days later... same problem. I took it back to BMW of Bellevue, and they now said that my DME was at fault. I had a new DME put in and re-programed again. Got my car back and again 4-5 days later here I am. Same problem minus $2000 bucks from my pocket! I don't feel 100% comfortable with the dealership and feel ripped off about now, does anyone know what this issue could be? Please help!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
yech22

Name: yech22
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1987 325is, 1998 540i
I had mine about 5 months maybe 2k miles put on it. BMW of Bellevue has paid some of my towing bills and gave me a nice 07 328ix to drive around in. Its been there for over a week now and they still haven't fixed it.