Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Neilsen

Name: Neilsen
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 226 / 340
Your Ride: 1990 BMW 325i
so i get my liscense tomorrow

any tips or suggestions? My first car is a 1990 e30 325i. thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
you test for it tomorrow or you already tested and receive it tomorrow? if you still have to test good luck! as for tips, take good care of the car, make sure all maintenance is done

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
hmm. I would say start off slowly. Learn how to drive without killing your self or your car. Take it easy at first. get used to your car.

Basically take your learning at a slow pace, dont try anything out of this world crazy for the first year.

and if you can in your state, dont drive with friends. and if you do...keep in mind that they might tell you to do some stupid shit. Dont go for it.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Exilion

Name: Exilion
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 325i
^ +1. Although I gotto admit after about 1 year I started going crazy on some country roads. By crazy I mean not rally racing but definitely over the speed limit :P which I wouldnt recommend on a road you know has traffic or pedestrians. As far as your first car that's probably only half a year older than my car! It's a great car if kept in shape. And if all else fails it's pretty easy to fix. If you haven't worked on cars much I'd just work on doing maintenance. That car is pretty fun stock anyhow since it's lighter than all modern BMW's. Anyway post some pics if you have a chance.

BMW's are made by god... kinda
Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
its a very dumb idea to drive like a mad man when you first get your license. get to know your car, and really learn how to drive before you go racing it around. as for tips during the test: when you pull up to a red light, dont stop ON the crosswalk. lol. thats the only thing i did wrong.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
also, dont speed on dirt roads just because you know the cops wont catch you there. here in tribune there have been 3 deaths because of dirt road speeding, and a good friend of mine crashed her car on a dirt road because she was speeding and didnt have time to stop for the dead end. split the frame in half and broke her leg. not good. as for me, i GREW UP on dirt roads, i have been driving on dirt roads since i was 13. i think i drove in town once before i got my license, so i know what im doing on the dirt. the next great rally driver right here
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Try to make a good habit of using signals. Missing a signal is one way to fail the road test. And anyway, there's no reason to not use signals all the time.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
^^^ +1 witeshark. and also hate the quick blinkers who change lanes. when changing lanes, i dont turn off the blinker until im completely in the new lane.

overall, take it easy and get to know your abilities (which will grow), the car (great car to get to know!), and the roads. i am a firm believer that speed does not kill and we drive completely too slow, but i understand that because people dont understand those three things, and they do other crap while driving.

in short, attention to detail.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
I first got my license back in the US, driving an 05 Explorer.
When I came back to Germany I had to wait 1 1/2 years till I got my German license
the week after I got it (April 07) I already started speeding
actually the first two months after my license I raced like a madman. Then I calmed down... Now I only kick it on open roads, and only sometimes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Cels you wouldn't like me then. I give one blink if any. I would really suggest looking into a young driver school (or a saftey school) I know some of the BMWCCA chapters offer them and you get to do in car exercises and its a lot of fun and you actually learn something about how to control your car. If you can't find a BMWCCA one look around they are out there and you could probably convince your parents to pay for it. In my opinion it is one of the best things you can do when you are learning to drive and will make you a LOT more safe on the road, because lets face it if you take 100 people 95 of them probably can't drive at or near a limit or have a good idea of car control. There are so many things with driving that are counter-intuitive that doing what you think is right might end up in a big accident.

good luck with the test and enjoy your license.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
Cels you wouldn't like me then. I give one blink if any.
its ok, i wouldn't notice that, all i would see is one sweet roho E30!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Um, from my past experiences, here's what not to do:

- Don't run a stop sign on the test, they'll fail you.
- Don't go offroading in a car. You'll only get stuck and muddy.
- Don't speed. But if you do, don't get caught. Night court sucks. So do the 5 points on my license.
- Don't listen to your friends, they're probably stupider than you and probably have less responsibilities. If you do, you'll probably try to offroad in a car.
- If you get lost, don't ascribe to the motto, "If you turn right, you can never go wrong!" You'll probably get lost for approximately 3 hours.

I think that covers a lot of it. Enjoy driving!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #13
Neilsen

Name: Neilsen
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 226 / 340
Your Ride: 1990 BMW 325i
haha i passed! ill try to get some pics up. its champaign and a four door. and ill try not to drive stupidly. lol
Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Congratz