Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
pablo74514

Name: pablo74514
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 41 / 340
Your Ride: 330ci cabrio
Door Lock Problems - can anyone advise!

I just purchased a 330ci cabrio. The key buttons never worked from the start and the lady owner advised me it’s the battery. Being new to beemers, I never knew this was self charged.

I tried re-programming the key by turning it and holding the unlock button and pressing the lock 3 times. When I got out of the car, it worked by locking the car, but now doesn’t open the locks. So I tried to open the door manually, and this didn’t work either. The keys turns side to side like there is ‘play’ and the lock is not catching the key.

So now I cannot get into my car, not even manually! Please can someone advise what the problem maybe? The boot opens, and the passenger side has no lock.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
bueras

Name: bueras
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
The problem when you reprogram your key is that it now requires a double pulse to open the passenger side door.

Were you trying to open the passenger side door by any chance?

If not you probably have a mechanical failure more likely than an electric one (key failure). I'd take a look inside the door panel and see if there is anything dangling or loose. It pretty easy to take apart. Do some searches and you will find pics on how to get access to what you need.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
pablo74514

Thanks for the advice. I actually went to BMW and they advised me the catch is broken in the barrel and also that i need a new key as its battery life has gone. does the battery life go within 5 years?

The catch is cheap but the labour to fit it is very expensive from BMW
Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
bueras

Name: bueras
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
You can probably do it yourself. Try uninstalling the broken part to make sure you know how it goes on. Then just install it. I bet you that it is pretty straight forward. Try it out and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
hmm my key is almost 7 years old and it still charges on my 330.
Maybe because thekey was sitting for so long the battery dried up? As for the door lock catch find out if its just the lock ( where the key goes in)they are replacing . If so thats easy to replace. If its the inter mechanism then its a spin in the ass.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
pablo74514

Thanks for the advise guys

My new key came yesterday from BMW and they programmed it and it worked! So conclusion was that the old key was totally gone. They tried re-initialising it but didnt work.

In terms of the catch, i will remove the inside door panel and have a look at the mechanism. Has anybody got a link or something on DIY instructions to remove the interior drivers side door panel?

Thanks again
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
ok.

to get the door panel off there are five t-15( i believe...but make sure u got a T-20/25 in case) screws holding it on, along with ten or so white plastic clips. Three screws are located on the underside of the arm rest. You will see the three holes, they are narrow so a ratchet head wont fit, only a screw driver attached with the T head driver.

then there is one screw behind the airbag insigma on the door. This should pop off with a screw driver. Be careful since you dont want to damage your leather panel. I advise using a rag underneath the screw driver.

the last screw is behing the door handle, behind the black circle. If you look at the door ahndle you will know what i mean. This "dot" can be removed with a carpet knife fairly easily. Once again be carefull not to be too forceful cause u can damage the plastic "dot" or the surrounding plastic.

after you get there five screws out go to the end of the door(where the locking mechanism is). You can wrap a flat screw driver(bigger the better..leverage wise) in a towel and [B]carefully[B] pry away the panel from the door. The panels are on the front, rear and bottom of the panel. about ten of them. they should just pop out. If you break one i would replace it...because if you dont it might cause the door to rattle...which will be annoying.

Once the clips are loose you have to lift the panel straight up because along the window sill there are hooks holding the panel on. These are not as fragile as the clips but becarful not to pull the door panel out to much cause you can bend this hooks and might damage the panel. So lift up and then out.

umm thats about it. Once you get in there you will realize how much of a pain in the ass it will be to get to the lock mechanism. If you remove the clips holding the door latch cable make sure you do it carefully...they tend to break. and once again you will want to replace them if they do cause it will rattle in the door.

You may also have to remove the side impact airbags. this i cannot advise you on. and i will tell you do not remove, if you do its at your own risk.

Its held on by a couple ten millimeter bolts with locktite. then there is the airbags wiring harness. Be carefull with it. It should come out pretty easily.

and thats about it.

keep in mind that you do not want to leave anything in the door after your done doing your work. it will rattle and annoy you. making a habbit of removing the panel is no good.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
pablo74514

Smile

Thanks for the guidelines - really appreciate the help from everyone. I will try this over the weekend and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again for your help
Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
TECH

Name: TECH
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Sick cars.
Where are you located Pablo?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #10
pablo74514

In London UK
Old 12-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
pablo74514

London, UK
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #12
pablo74514

is anyone in London who can fix this for me?