Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Damian

Name: Damian
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1992 325i E36
205 65 Rim15/16 Tires for 325i (E36) 92

My Mechanic uses 205 65 Rim 15 and sometimes 16 on his 325i (E36) 92 model. Thing is, i never saw these sizes on the recommended tires by the side of the door frame on the drivers side. Can this affect the performance of the vehicle in critical situations? Anyway I have refused to follow suit because these are high performance vehicles and the makers must know what they are doing -at least i hope so: for the price i am paying to drive one!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
most car manufacturers, more so during that era, were concerned with making the car appeal to the masses. this typically meant a smoother ride and probably cheaper rubber.

its fine to put larger rims on any car, it just makes it ride a bit rougher. this is directly proportional to how well the car handles, particularly in the corners. the thinner the profile of the tire, the better the performance handling characteristics.

yes, bmw does know what its doing, but at the same time it can take larger rims. speaking strictly about wheels, thats the major difference between a regular 3er, and that same car in ///M form.