Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Kill Stories
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Kill Stories It is so pleasant to work with experts. Visit this page to find out more regarding uįak biletleri.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
gotKRAUT

Name: gotKRAUT
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 87 325es, 67 beetle, 85 scirocco, 03 malibu, 99 ram 2500 turbo diesel

i built a 2900cc stroker motor that used chevy 350 pistons and 49idf delorttos ported out to 50's for my 67 years ago before we went OE restoration and it was a 12.0 second car....on street tires...i got pulled over once by a cop who was laughing cause i beat a C5 Z06 while doing a wheelie...he didnt even site me he couldnt stop laughing

the car is now OE restored, see pic in my sig, much slower now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kyle67.jpg (25.0 KB, 39 views)

1967 VW Beetle 1985 VW Scirocco 1987 BMW 325es 2003 Chevy Malibu

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 10-22-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Wow that rules!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
WOW that is one powerful bug. Either you got a slow bike or that is just a way too quick bug. Usually bike beats a car anyday no matter how much power or torque a car has.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #19
gotKRAUT

Name: gotKRAUT
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 87 325es, 67 beetle, 85 scirocco, 03 malibu, 99 ram 2500 turbo diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurboPower3 View Post
WOW that is one powerful bug. Either you got a slow bike or that is just a way too quick bug. Usually bike beats a car anyday no matter how much power or torque a car has.
Welcome to physics, we call it power/weight ratios...bikes are really light but also have very little power...

1967 VW Beetle 1985 VW Scirocco 1987 BMW 325es 2003 Chevy Malibu
Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
MTurboPower3

Name: MTurboPower3
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Dont have a car yet
But how can you explain a Suzuki Hayabusa beating a Ferrari?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #21
Bavarian-Airman

Name: Bavarian-Airman
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 211 / 340
Your Ride: 1996 740i V8
"The good old German Bug"

In the proximity to me house is the meeting point of a VW-Tuning-Club. And there are a lot of Bugs with Porsche motors. And I have seen, how a Bug beats a normal Porsche 911 Turbo very easy. The good old Bug is very light, with the right engine and a lot of love itīs a lethality weapon made in Germany.

But I think, thats it isnīt an historic car and a VW. Itīs a so beautiful old car and they change all famouse old parts for these modern shit.

You see Iīam old-school-man. Why? I donīt know! I love the old look, the smell of fuel when you ignite the engine, the sound of an old motor and history of the old cars.

I LOVE BMW 2002 Turbo
Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #22
chazmo

Name: chazmo
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 88 Honda Civic, 82 Subaru GL, 87 S10, 84 F250HD4WD, 2003 GMC Yukon
Hey Everyone! I found this by doing a search and was so excited, decided to become a new member of your club, as I might be able to provide a good answer for the question posed in this thread!

I've had 3 VW Beetles and my dad had a few Porsches (356/911) when I was a kid, plus he taught auto/metal shop at the local high school here in Anchorage. My last Beetle was a 74 Super 1600. I put a CW crank in and polished the manifolds/heads and that alone made a huge improvement. Also had a severely mismatched Starion 2.6L turbo that I scabbed on... It wouldn't kick in until high RPM's, but it accellerated so fast that it snapped the fan belt every time! My '66 beetle weighed < 1200 pounds when stripped down, so 1900 is a bit high if you consider carbon/glass fenders hood, no bumpers/spare tire/rear seat.
That all said, here's my take on why the beetle could beat the bike:

1. Ferdinand Porsche was a mechanical genius. He won "Engineer of the Century" for the design of.... that's right, the Beetle.

2. Air cooling shaves hundreds of pounds of weight off the car- no radiator, fluid, hoses, water jackets etc.

3. The arch! The Beetle is one big 3 dimensional arch... This makes it much stiffer than boxlike cars. That translates to higher torsional rigidity resulting is virtually no wheel hop/chatter. This along with air cooling are the main reasons the beetle is so light. Compare this to a body on frame in terms of rigidity and weight.

4. All power transmission is routed through as short of a distance as possible. There is no driveshaft, and in the old beetles, not a single u-joint, as that is built into the differential, which is built into the transmission(actually transaxle). Compare that to a front/rear layout with the tranny/u-joint/driveshaft/u-joint/differential. Each step you have to deal with torque and vibration, increasing mass all along the way. The increased mass of rotation equates to significant inertial losses 1/2MR^2 not to mention the increased weight of the vehicle.

5. Rear engine, rear wheel drive. Think beyond the 60/40 weight distribution to a dynamic situation where you pop the clutch. First thing that happens is the front of the vehicle lifts up. Second thing is the rear of the car squats down on the springs, coupling 100% of the car's weight to the rear wheels through the rubber bumper/trailing arm. Think of it as a huge lever with the rear wheels as the fulcrum. Without wicked traction, power above what the wheels can handle is simply wasted.

6. Trailing arm rear suspension. (bikes have this too) Compared to a leaf spring/straight axle suspension, the force transfer from the rear wheel bearings to the vehicle is much more direct. The torque/inertia reaction makes the vehicle squat.

7. The rest is the misconception that the original flat-four beetle engine was a dog because of it's basic layout... no, it was due to it's intentionally very small carburetor/manifold. Remember, it was developed in the 30's when the US had cut off Germany and Japan from petroleum. Fuel in Germany then was at a premium (Battle of the Bulge decisive factor?). It doesn't take much at all to turn a 1.6L bug engine into a screamer. Bore it out, add a turbo/EFI/racing heads/lifters/cams/rods/pushrods/rockers/100 octane and you can get a power/weight ratio double that of your bike. Here's the math- bug 1200 pounds/400 hp bike 450 pounds 84 hp. So the bug has 0.333 hp/lb and the bike 0.18 hp/pound- bug having double the power/weight as the bike.

Here's one of my favorites of a VW Bus of all things dusting a Mercedes C32 V8- how can this be? Besides the above factors, consider the Mercedes is front engine/rear wheel drive now with the added burden of traction control, which essentially limits the engine's power if the wheels can't use it. Not sure what engine the C32 had in it, but it's still cool to watch. Notice how the bus just squats and squeals all through first and chirps in second.

Last edited by chazmo; 04-23-2009 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: improve readability with formatting
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
TurboNos56VW

Name: TurboNos56VW
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 330i
I am new to this forum and being a VW drag racing enthusiast for 25 years or so I thought I would educate some of the misguided on this forum.

First off most of us do not put a Porsche or Subie engine in our cars (Why would we want to go slower? And it is highly frowned on in the VW community ) lol

Way back in the 80's I had what would be an Unlimited Street turbo car today. That car managed to eventually click off a 9.90 second ET before I sold it after 14 years of owning it.

Today we have Unlimited Street that has real street cars that have to be insured, registered have working lights, wipers, horn and a muffler, they also have to do a 20 mile cruse before they race. Most of these cars run high to low 9 second times in street trim.

Here is an East Coast Unlimited Street car running 9.90 @ 142 lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br-FWzVk0wM

There is a Pro Mod class with a weight to CI rule, in this class the dominating crew of the Red Baron team recently effortlessly clicked off an 8.34 @ 170 with only 24 LBS of boost on an engine that can take 50 PSI.

Here is an old video of them running 8.34 @ 169 with the old engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VS259FtWcU

If you really want to see a fast air cooled VW engine in a dragster there are two of them that run in the 6 second range @ 200 MPH +

One is VW Paradise with a recent run of I think it was 6.53 and the MPH was 211 but they have run these numbers a few times. Look for this car on Pass Time on the Speed channel in February sometime

Here is a video of the old front engine car, they switched to a rear engine now because they had one too many Top Fuel type explosions in the top end. That's what happens sometimes when you try to get 1,400 HP out of a VW engine and push the limits though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8foSBDYeA

1/8 mile burnout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOz_u...eature=related

Explosion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUt36gp-_ho

Today ten second VW turbo cars are a dime a dozen at VW events and if you live in So Cal many of them are driving around the streets.

This is a great forum for my daily driver BTW, have a great day!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #24
karime302

Name: karime302
Title: Suspended License
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: E30 M3
Thats fast