Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Generate activity?

Hey everyone....

Well, I've been talking to a few new (brand spanking new) members that have registered and have not posted at all to try and see why, well, they won't post, lol.

And I got all kinds of answers somewhat all over board. But now I'd like to ask EVERYONE....

Bottom line is now as far as actual membership goes, we have increased that a ALLLLLLL lot, but we are lacking some serious activity - (Just to kind of give you an idea, I think we only had one or two actual new posts today) - . So, I'd like to ask everyone, what do you think would help us generate more threads and posts. Am really open to anything, if you feel shy to post your reply here, PM me. I really would love to get a lot of feedback on this.

SO, I might as well start us of, my ideas come from what I think would personally help and some of the feedback I received from others (that asked me to post it for them)....

1. Have a more user friendly posting interface,
2. Opening to the forum to non-members,
3. Removing the "edited by tags" when a post gets edited
4. Ability to do more smileys,
5. Changing the color scheme
6. Reseting the post counts of members

PS: Am posting this in a few places to see what ind of responses I get

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Reset my post count and I'll knife you.

j/k... But seriously. I saw the new layout idea, it looked good. Other than that, I wouldn't open the forum to anyone so they can post without registering, we'd get spammed to hell.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
i thought we were doing well.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF5 View Post

j/k... But seriously. I saw the new layout idea, it looked good. Other than that, I wouldn't open the forum to anyone so they can post without registering, we'd get spammed to hell.
What would you suggest then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
i thought we were doing well.
We're doing great member wise, but as far as activity goes per member, not too too great.

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
Please leave the 'edited by' labels. Why would we remove this feature?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Well honestly what else can we do? Advertise? Lots of people get on forums to find the answers to a problem like one time. Only some are in it for the community.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
+1. That would be like spitting on those who kept this place going through their participation, even during the rough times.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
mh... personally I pretty much only look at the "recent threads" at the title page...
maybe it should show more than only 20...because like every 12 hours or so that is filled with new threads so people don't look at the "older" recent threads---

put it up to 30, that would help a lot imho
Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
I click on the "New Posts" link. Perhaps making that link more prominent would help
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
yeah, probably
Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
now are those actual replies or are those suggestions that you made? could you possibly tell us of the actual replies and the frequency so we know how urgent one is vs the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 10-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
+2

I would post even more but with a real job now I'm not able to spend as much time on the site as I used to be. In response to what is listed:
1.I think we have a much friendlier environment then many other sites out there and its not very hard to post.
2. I thought the forums were opened up to everyone except in the members lounge if you cant take the 2 minutes or less to register go someplace else.
3.What's wrong with the edited by info? Sometimes I like to have people be able to see I edited something especially if i was in the wrong or insulted anyone.
4. We have a pretty good selection and why would smileys stop you from posting?
5. Preview of whats coming looks pretty good I will withhold all other comments on it until it is live.
6. See Above.
I always only check the "new posts" link unless I know specifically where something I want is and its the easiest way for me to stay current although I'm probably on the site a lot more then some other members, but the newest stuff is the active stuff.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
dinan540

Name: dinan540
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Part of the problem is pure competition. There are hundreds of bmw sites out, some are sig specific and some are not. What I like about ours is the community. We rarely have assholes posting stupid stuff or insulting other members. We won't tolerate that. On other boards, it happens all of the time. I use other forums to get answers because, for me specifically, I have an E39 and there are not many members who have them on our site. But I still come back almost everyday to see what is happening. Our best bet is internal marketing, i.e. our friends that share our passion for all things BMW/Euro/Cars.

For me, as a professional, the best patients I have are the patients that are referred by existing patients. The worse patients are the yellow page/ bargain hunting patients.

Paul

540i with some mods
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf View Post
now are those actual replies or are those suggestions that you made? could you possibly tell us of the actual replies and the frequency so we know how urgent one is vs the other?
Kind of 50/50 But I was asked by the people who sent those ideas to me to keep them as mine in a way.

But please, don't focus on what I put up, what i really want to see is what ideas you guys have.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is View Post
+2

I would post even more but with a real job now I'm not able to spend as much time on the site as I used to be. In response to what is listed:
1.I think we have a much friendlier environment then many other sites out there and its not very hard to post.
2. I thought the forums were opened up to everyone except in the members lounge if you cant take the 2 minutes or less to register go someplace else.
3.What's wrong with the edited by info? Sometimes I like to have people be able to see I edited something especially if i was in the wrong or insulted anyone.
4. We have a pretty good selection and why would smileys stop you from posting?
5. Preview of whats coming looks pretty good I will withhold all other comments on it until it is live.
6. See Above.
I always only check the "new posts" link unless I know specifically where something I want is and its the easiest way for me to stay current although I'm probably on the site a lot more then some other members, but the newest stuff is the active stuff.
You know, I appreciate how you went and analyzed my post, but my all point here is, please don't just focus on what little ideas I put up, provide me some feedback, on what YOU think should be done

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
^Get C1apton Back.