Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > War and Politics   
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

War and Politics    Discuss the latest in the War on Terrorism and the Political Arena. Remember, the war is against terrorists, not fellow UB members, no "Flames" allowed.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
Are YOU ready for this?

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 08-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Heh, I'm too old
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
I miss President Clinton's administration....

I would take a Rhode Scholar that gets a BJ from an intern over a C student playing cowboy anyday.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
they have been talking about this for awhile, the idea of reinstating conscription is not new for the current conflicts.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Kasei

Name: Kasei
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1991 525i
I don't think it will happen, but if it does I have asthma so I'll be just dandy. And I agree with RSF5...Clinton might have made a really, really stupid mistake but he was a great president.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasei
I don't think it will happen, but if it does I have asthma so I'll be just dandy. And I agree with RSF5...Clinton might have made a really, really stupid mistake but he was a great president.
if the draft were to be reinstated, things would be just like in WWII where as long as you could walk on your own two feet, they'd find you a desk job somewhere, it would be non-combat, but it would be conscription nonetheless.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Chris

Click here to set it up.
And on the note of the long and frequent tours of duty to the sandbox, the military's dirty little secret is that if you're just a couple months away from being up for reinlistment, expect another trip to the sandbox that's longer than your remaining time on contract.

SECNAV (Secretary of the Navy protocols and policies) has provisions allowing a command to retain a person on active duty past the end of their contractual obligation as long as that person is on deployment. However, the same provisions also prohibit commands from extended that deployment from what the personnels original orders for deployment are. All other branches have similar provisions, except for the USMC since they fall under the department of the navy.

So basically, if your contract is up in two months, they'll ship you out for 6-9 months and since you're deployed in an active combat zone, they can keep you there the whole time your orders state you are to be there, but they can't extend your deployment.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
celsdogg

^^^ in addition to that, they can order a stop loss. a stop loss prevents a unit from losing troops prior to a deployment.

chris, i guess you can call that a dirty little secret, but its really a logistical issue. when a troop is assigned to a unit, they are taken into account as part of the manpower, availability, and readiness of the unit. these factors (and many more) are what help decide if a unit is ready for deployment. it would be a waste of money and resources to pull troops who ETS out of a combat zone, and then replace them with somebody else who the other troops do not know, and additionally did not train with said unit. further, it would be unwise to account for each troop prior to considering which unit to deploy because every unit is going to have soldiers coming and going. thus, the search would go on forever.

i hesitated in saying this many times, but it is because of bill clinton's administration that our armed forces are smaller. in order to get all the money his admin did, he severely cut the military budget which causes numerous base closing, reductions in troop levels and standing divisions. on a more personal level, senior enlisted (maybe those doggone officers too) who planned to retire from the military were often cut before they could retire which left them with basically nothing. they would have to start new careers in mid life with only military and sometimes combat experience. aside from the direct benefit for finance, it cut thousands of service members who would have to be paid retirement, etc.

Last edited by celsdogg; 08-12-2007 at 12:54 AM..
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF5
I miss President Clinton's administration....

I would take a Rhode Scholar that gets a BJ from an intern over a C student playing cowboy anyday.

Completely agree with you on that!

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Chris

Click here to set it up.
I only call it a dirty little secret because its one of things that the military does that gets as little public press time as possible. (I guess it doesn't help recruiting numbers if everyone knows that uncle sam has your ass for as long as he wants it, no matter what your legally binding document might say

Ironically, I wasn't informed of these practices until AFTER I signed my contract with the classifier

Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
celsdogg

^^^ if you handle it right then you will be ok. its a game, and you gotta know how to play.

just as a note, when you get the chance to go IRR (inactive status) then realize, despite what they say, you are less likely to get mobilized. they tell you the opposite, but its a lie and a true trick. if you would like the details, let me know.