Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
danny123

Name: danny123
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
suspension setups

Is there a certain setup that has made the e36 95 325i turn to its full capabilty, i mean i remeber reading some where that the bmw likes really stiff front strut brace, and a not so stiff sway bar in the back. Or am i just totally lost, and there in only one stiffness?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
if your looking for handling, you definately need to lower your car, nothing will help better than that, however in terms of the strut brace, the sway bar in the front could be a little thicker(although it wont help as much as lowering)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 AM   #3
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
I doubt it would make any difference at all. As long as one wasn't really crappy and one was extreme nice and stiff.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny123
Is there a certain setup that has made the e36 95 325i turn to its full capabilty, i mean i remeber reading some where that the bmw likes really stiff front strut brace, and a not so stiff sway bar in the back. Or am i just totally lost, and there in only one stiffness?
There's really no "full capability" set up, it's more of "what's comparable to your style of driving" As "Perf" mentioned lowering would be a good start - new struts would also give you a good base to start with. After that it's "SKY & your budget" is the limits. One big thing alot of people forget to consider is "dry weight". Are you going to carry gear in trunk, load it with a ton of stereo gear, passengers? Every 10lbs you add are going to change it's handling characteristics so don't forget to consider the weight when making ANY performance mods. Tires & wheels are another mod people don't consider a major change, which can get you into problems. Bottom line: it's a balance issue - consider EVERYTHING as a total pkge instead of throwing stuff at it to compensate for other changes you've made along the way, your wallet and reliability will thank you in the long run.

Last edited by c1apton; 05-18-2007 at 04:53 AM..
Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
chizel

Name: chizel
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2002
some of the installation tips for suspension set ups i had:

most shocks are fairly easy to replace, but bmw struts can be tricky. on older import vehicles that have cartridge-style struts, it is not always necessary to completely remove the struts to replace the cartridges. there may be enough clearance to swing the top of the strut out from under the fender once the upper mount is unbolted. on some, a spanner wrench or pipe wrench is needed to remove the body nut from the strut. on others, the cartridge can be replaced from above with the strut in place once the upper bearing plate has been removed. and another part that may need to be replaced when changing a strut is the upper bearing plate. the plate supports the weight of the vehicle and serves as the upper steering pivot. a bad bearing plate can cause steering stiffness, noise and poor steering return (memory steer).

Last edited by chizel; 06-29-2007 at 10:04 PM..
Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Stan's Cycle again. Do we really look that stupid??? If you want advertising, then why don't you sponsor us, you cheap bastards. You don't even have good prices.