Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
greid1230

Name: greid1230
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 530d M Sport (E60)
E60 Service Light reset

Can somebody please help me!!!

I have recently purchased a 2004 530d M Sport. I was advised that the car was overdue a service and negotiated a lower price for the car as keys and money changed hands.

I have taken the car to a local BMW approved garage but the guy cannot reset the service lights.

I have found a couple of web sites that perhaps has out of date information i.e inserting a tool into the engine bay.

This is probably what you get for not going to an official BMW garage but the garage was recommended by a mate.

Catalogue of errors - can somebody get me out of trouble?

Points overdue are: Vehicle check, oil, brake fluid and microfiler although. All parts have been changed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Graeme Reid

Last edited by greid1230; 05-21-2007 at 08:31 AM..
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
USUALLY a BMW dealer upon seeing receipts that work was done will reset the lights for you for little or no fee. But if they are questionable and don't address all the required maintenance they won't.
Just for "peace of mind" you might just bite the bullet and have the major service done for 2 reasons:
#1) You'll know it's been done correctly & safely
#2) the previous owner was "maintenance deficient" and who knows what can go wrong further down the road.

Your conscience & wallet will thank you in the long run
Old 05-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Not sure if this will help, but bavauto.com sells an OBD II code reader, part #CS 1500. It's supposed to reset check engine lights, but I would call them to see what else it can do.

With a car that new, I would strongly recommend getting it serviced regularly by a BMW dealership. It may cost you money, but it will be worth the expense, and will also increase the car's resale value.