Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > Z Series (Z3, Z4, Z8)
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Z Series (Z3, Z4, Z8) General discussion and technical help for all year Z series cars.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #16
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
The only problem I have in my z3 is the left rear visibility. Whenever I merge left or right I always look before I merge. In the z3 the visibility to the left rear is pretty bad, so I have to rely on the mirror and even then, I can never be 100% sure there is nobody back there.

Yah, looking to your side and seeing where you could go underneath the tractor trailer can be pretty scary.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
lanshrk

Name: lanshrk
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 528man
I've noticed lately that z3 are getting really cheap compared to a couple years ago. But still, in NC there are not too many around. anyone know specs on the 4 cyl z3's. problems?

*komodo inspired me to start this thread*
Just bought mine three months ago. Low milage '98 2.8 - had to have it and had to pay more than blue-book to get it.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #18
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
I hate driving by trucks. I actualy coast behind them in my lane (with them in the other lane) so that they can see me well (remember, if you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you) and wait till teh car in front of me iis far enough ahead that i don't have to spend more time beside the truck than i have to and kinda power past it (there's no flying past it in the navi, so the word of the day is power)

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #19
dstraub27

Name: dstraub27
Click here to set it up.
i love drivin my Z3 they are 1 million times sexier than the miata and their looks cant be matched
Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #20
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
^^ Definately.

And welcome to UB.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #21
aLm

Name: aLm
Rate My Car: 244 / 340
Your Ride: e36 sedan
Are all Z3 convertible, can you get one with a hard top? or is it the m roadster
Old 05-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #22
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
all Z3's are vert's, but you can purchase hard tops for them. i think they run over $1k.

I know the M roadster came in non-vert form, maybe some else can elaborate on that. . .

correction: all Z3 roadsters are verts, they came out with Z3 coupes as well and also M versions in both forms.

http://bmwworld.com/models/z3.htm
Old 05-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #23
Siaren

Name: Siaren
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 M Roadster
IMHO - The old Z3 styling is by far SEXIER than the new Z4.
Do y'all remember the old Camel Logo or "entity" called Joe Camel.
There was a bit of controversy over the "design" of his nose and it's similarity to.... how shall I say.... The Masculine Member. If you look at the nose of the Z, at just the right angle, it has that same "look". Perhaps that's why so many women approach this 50-something old man, and in a low, almost growling/purring voice, say things like, " I really love your car ". ........... sorry, sweetie, my wife is in Starbucks getting me a lowfat triple latte..... better run along......
Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #24
aLm

Name: aLm
Rate My Car: 244 / 340
Your Ride: e36 sedan
do you agree that z3 looks like a shark? perhaps a tiger shark with the cutouts in the front.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
The z3 was actually made in the z3 coupe format for a few years, maybe 99 and 00. It had the 2.8L engine it for sure, and maybe the 2.3L engine (I haven't seen any in the 2.3L format)

I like both the z3 and z4... personally owning a z3 I am a little biased
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #26
CWatts

Name: CWatts
Rate My Car: 150 / 340
Your Ride: BMW Z3 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn
They can be pretty scairy cars when your driving next to any type of truck with 10 or more wheels. You glance out the window and your about 3 ft off the road with limited room between you and the door. Dont get me wrong there fun cars to drive if your 5,8 but for the people that are 6 and over it starts getting cramped. And if you get one you most def. need a 2.8, 3.0 or the M. The 3.0's are so much fun to drive compaired to the 4 cyl model.
As a relatively new owner of a '99 Z3, I don't have a great deal of experience with them. But I am over 6', 230 lbs., and find the Z very comfortable. We, the wife and I bought it in Calif., drove home to Louisiana in 2 days. Last week we drove to Maine in 2 days, and back in same time. This trip we have made in several large American sedans. The little Bimmer was much more comfortable, (unless you plan on sleeping in the back seat).
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Z3 1.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn
Dont get me wrong there fun cars to drive if your 5,8 but for the people that are 6 and over it starts getting cramped. And if you get one you most def. need a 2.8, 3.0 or the M. The 3.0's are so much fun to drive compaired to the 4 cyl model.
Hey ! First post here to this forum.....

I'm 6' 3" and have no problems with my Z3 1.9.... and I like the 4 cyl engine. 30+ mpg..... loads of fun. It's at least as quick as my wife's Honda Accord 4 cyl.

JWhite
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #28
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite
Hey ! First post here to this forum.....

I'm 6' 3" and have no problems with my Z3 1.9.... and I like the 4 cyl engine. 30+ mpg..... loads of fun. It's at least as quick as my wife's Honda Accord 4 cyl.

JWhite
Hey, welcome to UB!

If you have any pictures of your Z, you should post them up in a thread in the Car Showroom.

Hang around... the members on here are a great bunch, and you can learn a lot just by casual chatting.

Again, welcome aboard.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #29
Z3POS

Name: Z3POS
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 98 Ze Rdstr
Hello Chaps,
The Z3 price drop in the USA may be attributed to the Rear Subframe failures being experienced here. I own a Z3 and a 1992 Miata and the Miata dances circles around my Z3 in performance, handling and durability.

My Z3 has a broken Differential bracket and Subframe breakage. It is happening to quite a bunch of us here, from weekend completely stock canyon cruisers to those who modiy their Z's. Tha's why I bought the Miata.

Have a Look if you wish:
www.bmwZ3subframeproblems.homestead.com

Why not join a Miata club you ask? Miata has 185,000-miles on it and no loss of compression or excessive oil usage...i just may. I do a Autocross in parking lots maybe 6 times a year and the stock Miata's consistantly beat the stock Z3's fairly easily. The Z3 only beats Miata in looks but Miatas are almost indestructable and age incredibly well.

Thanks Gents and enjoy your Z's

Last edited by Z3POS; 04-30-2007 at 09:48 AM..