Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Kill Stories
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Kill Stories It is so pleasant to work with experts. Visit this page to find out more regarding uÁak biletleri.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
VenomRS4

Name: VenomRS4
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Bug vs Bike :THE FASTEST VW BUG I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

Ok, I was on my bike running a few errands. My bike is a 1987 Honda CBR600 F1 Hurricane...you know...the usual run of the mill ugly old-school 80s crotch rocket.

Well, I get to a red light and next to me is an old VW Bug (60s maybe?) with nice looking red paint, chrome wheels, and looked real low. Iím not really a fan of these cars but for an old bug, its looked pretty nice. He had a roll cage and from what I could see, looked like it had a stripped interior.

The light turns green and we both take off. I took off normal. He sped up and paced my acceleration for a few seconds (which got my attention) and accelerated a little more enough that I could see the back of his car and... HOLY CRAP: THE BACK TIRES! Them tires were some serious meatsÖ.295s-305sÖeasily. They were pretty much sticking out of the side of the car and I think they were making the rear of the car sit a little high. That and it had the meanest exhaust note I have ever heard come out of a bug. Sounded like a bad-ass STi.

Once again, we hit a red light but we are still in front of the traffic and now on a large open 4 lane road. By now, I am very much interested in this car and what it can do. I inch forward a little bit and he does the same and gives a little rev. The light turns green and I take off kind of aggressively. Once again, he stays next to me. At about 20ish mph in 2nd I just said f-it. I tucked in and punched it. He followed suit BUT DIDNíT FALL BACK! I red-line 2nd and go into third gear and NO LIE-NO JOKE, HEíS GAINING ON ME!!!!!!!! I red-line third then shift to 4th and HE IS PULLING PAST ME! When I heard him shift I heard a BOV. It was definitely turbo. I let off about Ĺ way through 4th gear.

He pulled about 1-1.5 car lengths on me AND I GOT THE JUMP in the beginning.

We both went our separate ways. I think he gave me a friendly wave but I was too busy looking at his car shocked to really respond. I think I made some pathetic attempt to raise my hand slightly to give him the thumbs up but I donít think I made any noticeable gesture. I probably just looked like a retardÖwhatever.

Now I know compared to modern 600cc sportbikes my bike isnít fast. But it is by no means slow. Just to give you an idea: Curb weight of 450lbs and 84 hp stock. Do the mathÖthatís just over 5 pounds per hp. Now ad in the fact that I have a Vance and Hines pipe and jet kit and just got a complete tune up. Compare that to lets say a C5 Corvette Z06 which is around 7-8 pounds per hp. Also, I didnít mess up any of the shifts when I raced the bug.

I am assuming he had some type of engine swap. I have seen them at shows before. It sounded like a Subaru and it was turbo so maybe a WRX or STI Motor? Who knows... All I know is that I lost to a crazy old Volkswagen Beetle.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty interesting so I figured I would share it.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Thoughts? Just this - Wow! That's impressive! But the old Beetles are low curb weight and the engine is back over the driven back wheels. That means no drive shaft weight or inertia to waste torque

Last edited by witeshark; 09-21-2006 at 11:30 PM..
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
could have had a subaru swap, alot of vw guys do that, im thinking about doing it too. or it could have been a 2.3 turbo, the biggest engine you can get for those without swapping ot something non-vw. and those run at about 300-330HP.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
craig

Click here to set it up.
well, check this out. bug VS ferrari. bug wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTUGwgEZqtI
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
450? damn ur bike is heavy for a crotchrocket, my bros bike is 497, and his is a cruiser, i was fooling around w/my buddies 01 CBR600 F4i, that thing weighs like 297 lbs its liek so light, i could take it, while its off and run with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
2002obsession

Name: 2002obsession
Click here to set it up.
Ja, Subaru engines with their flat fouriness swap in easily and don't break so much
Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
VenomRS4

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf
450? damn ur bike is heavy for a crotchrocket, my bros bike is 497, and his is a cruiser, i was fooling around w/my buddies 01 CBR600 F4i, that thing weighs like 297 lbs its liek so light, i could take it, while its off and run with it
450 pounds is the weight with all fluids, etc. Dry weight of my bike is 397 pounds. Its still heavy but you also have to think, this bike is 17ish years old. Its one of the origional true crotch rockets. Of course its going to be heavier than modern ones. The technology now is insane. As far as your buddies f4i, thats really light. Are you sure its that light?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
xsperf

yes im sure, trust me i get on my bros bike and, well i got used to it b/c i would ride it around from time to time, and it felt normal, then i got on his bike and i was really shocked... if u ever thinkin about buying a new 1 check it out u'll be surprised

Quote:

Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
VenomRS4

Click here to set it up.
dude, i just looked it up and every place i looked said the dry weight of a CBR600F4i is 370 pounds. Which is light, but not 297 pounds light.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
xsperf

interesting, either way i recieved the info from him he said he read it off the title, maybe i misheard he may have said 370 and i haerd 270.. either way its light as hell i know that for a fact

Quote:

Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
g0bl1n

Name: g0bl1n
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1960 vw ragtop bug
lol

well a air cooled vw beetle is very light, stock weight is about 1900lbs, and on engine swaps, u r better off putting in a beefed up vw engine than a suby one, although the subaru engine swap is a good option for vanagons due to the fact that its already water cooled, meyers manx offers a subaru engine option for new buggys, but its a expensive option when u can look at prices on vw parts on cip1.com and performance parts on cbperformance.com

there is a company that offers a nice bell housing for subaru engines that uses the suby clutch and bolt pattern, i may look it up n post it on here its a very clean way to do the subaru swap

but u have to remember a vw bug came with 36 horsepower on the real oldys and uped it to 40 later, just putting dual webers on one makes it fun at lights lol

when u get a turbo kit on a bigger engine in the 2.0 range its hard to keep it from popping wheelies, I got maybe 100 horsepower in my bug just bolt ons and i have broken 3 front transaxle mounts had to strap it on with a metal strap, and i only have a 1.6 only put the bolt ons on it for reliability reasons, all i do for maint is brush the plugs change the oil and keep the carbs in sync, and every few yrs i adjust the valves, but the type 1 vw engine is capable aspiring alot of power, especially considering it dont have to lug alot of weight, but best part is it's cheap... sure u could spend 10k on slapping a subaru mod, or spend 3k on a turbo kit for type 1 and if u want more u can shell out 10k on all the other bolt on mods, bigbore strokers etc and still have money left and no radiator leaks ever! lol

but bugs aint for everyone, u feel the bumps

btw I am building a 1962 bmw motorcycle with a 1600cc dual port vw engine also, dunno how i stumbled on this forum lol

oh and theres also the type 4 porsche engine its a good enine if u dont bore it out n do alot of mods it has a stock 2.0litre version

and no the 911 engine aint the way to go, unless sum how u have acess to porsche parts cheap, and i never seen porsche parts cheap, even the 914 type 4 engines cost more....

Last edited by g0bl1n; 04-13-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Old 04-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
craig

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0bl1n
well a air cooled vw beetle is very light, stock weight is about 1900lbs, and on engine swaps, u r better off putting in a beefed up vw engine than a suby one, although the subaru engine swap is a good option for vanagons due to the fact that its already water cooled, meyers manx offers a subaru engine option for new buggys, but its a expensive option when u can look at prices on vw parts on cip1.com and performance parts on cbperformance.com

there is a company that offers a nice bell housing for subaru engines that uses the suby clutch and bolt pattern, i may look it up n post it on here its a very clean way to do the subaru swap

but u have to remember a vw bug came with 36 horsepower on the real oldys and uped it to 40 later, just putting dual webers on one makes it fun at lights lol

when u get a turbo kit on a bigger engine in the 2.0 range its hard to keep it from popping wheelies, I got maybe 100 horsepower in my bug just bolt ons and i have broken 3 front transaxle mounts had to strap it on with a metal strap, and i only have a 1.6 only put the bolt ons on it for reliability reasons, all i do for maint is brush the plugs change the oil and keep the carbs in sync, and every few yrs i adjust the valves, but the type 1 vw engine is capable aspiring alot of power, especially considering it dont have to lug alot of weight, but best part is it's cheap... sure u could spend 10k on slapping a subaru mod, or spend 3k on a turbo kit for type 1 and if u want more u can shell out 10k on all the other bolt on mods, bigbore strokers etc and still have money left and no radiator leaks ever! lol

but bugs aint for everyone, u feel the bumps

btw I am building a 1962 bmw motorcycle with a 1600cc dual port vw engine also, dunno how i stumbled on this forum lol

oh and theres also the type 4 porsche engine its a good enine if u dont bore it out n do alot of mods it has a stock 2.0litre version

and no the 911 engine aint the way to go, unless sum how u have acess to porsche parts cheap, and i never seen porsche parts cheap, even the 914 type 4 engines cost more....
best. new. member. EVER. welcome to the forums. got any pics of your vw?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
bumsride

Name: bumsride
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 56,61rag,65notch,67bug vw's
for those that dont know about the little wonders(ac vw bugs).a new world record for a prostock vw was just set last weekend 5.98@116 in the 1/8 .this n/a all motor 36 hp in 56.340hp in 07ck out vid at www.sevwa.com
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
GreenTourer

Name: GreenTourer
Rate My Car: 164 / 340
Your Ride: 1993, E30 BMW Touring Lux
Great story! Your writing kept me gripped
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
Dr1ve4fun

Name: Dr1ve4fun
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 237 / 340
Your Ride: 1985 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
best. new. member. EVER. welcome to the forums. got any pics of your vw?
+1 There is a really nice one that I see at school sometimes. I will take a picture or two next time I see it. Bugs kick ass.