Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 7 Series (E23, E32, E38, E65, E66)
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

7 Series (E23, E32, E38, E65, E66) General discussion and technical help for all year 7 series cars.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
mlongo2005

Name: mlongo2005
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: none
wiper wont rturn home

hello anyone reading this thread,i was told that the reason my 1998 bmw 740il wipers will not return back in its position is because of a relay.i bought the correct relay and looked up on the e38.org the proper location and how to.it seems that in the pics im certain its an easy fix,but i cannot locate the relay anywhere in the fuse box under the hood,is there another place it could be hiding.the pics i used showed it under the back silver box,i looked and its not there,another question is that i think tyhe reason my radio ,dsc,and other components do not work are because of the onboard computer,which nif so where do i find this computer,and am i to asume that this is the problem that my key remote/radio/components do not work.dont want to spend the money and find out its not the answer.any help is greatly appreciated....marco
Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
QcMarque

Name: QcMarque
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 740i
Do you have the ETM for your car? If not visit this thread http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/u...-ftp-info.html and d/l it (will help with other electrical as well). It'll tell youexactly where the relay you need to replace is.

As for the computer, you could browse www.realoem.com to find the part#, then hit up either www.koperformance.com (Paul there has helped me to get parts at the cheapest prices available - find a lower price show him a link and they'll beat it) or www.bmw-parts-direct.com I've bought a few relays and whatnot there. decent prices, fast shipping. Also, while you're on my FTP you could grab the ETK and retrofit guides as well which will help with part #s and replacement items, etc.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Just a quick question and I'm sure you did it, but did you try the fuse?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
mlongo2005

Click here to set it up.
thanks for the replies,but what is the ETM mean,also i did check the fuse,i followed the e38.org how to do it,but realized later that the relay i bought and procedure i followed belonged to a newer model 740.with that said even the mechanics at bmw could not help me with a part number for the fuse,im pretty sure the relay is located in the engine fuse compartment under the dme computer,but there are 3 relays down there,a light pinkish that says ABS,also a light purple and dark purple.which one is it or is it even located where im looking.as for the onboard computer,my dilemma is this.bmw has no idea where the obc is located on my 98 740il.also im not even sure that it is the problem.my onboard diagnostics does not have power,also the radio,tuner and display and the dsc button does not function due to power.everything else works on the dash,ac etc.so am i to believe that the computer is at fault.thanks a bunch for the help.i bought the car and the guy said the radio didnt work,i figured it would just be replaced and that was that.ebay car sellers are thieves,lots more stuff he did not mention either,karmas a bitch,i always say.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
Have you asked here: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e38/

Or here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...splay.php?f=47

There are a lot more E38 7 Series owners and experts in both places than here.

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 01-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
QcMarque

Name: QcMarque
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 740i
ETM is Electronic Troubleshooting Manual. BMW software that shows you all the wiring diagrams for Bimmers.

The ETK gives you part numbers just like if you were to visit www.realoem.com
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
mlongo2005

Click here to set it up.
hello again,i tried downloading the software,it seems the smallest file downloaded no problem,but the 1st three tries at the other ones all ended up in disaster.at around 80-90 percent complete the system told me it timed out.i lost the 12 hours of downloading.have to try it agai,am i doing something wrong?