Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 11-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #31
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
There have been over 20,000 listed on Ebay both times that I looked this morning.

60 MB units seem to be in the $1400 range now. They were in the $1200 range a hour or 2 ago.

Wait a couple of weeks till they get rarer for the big bucks or will supply catch up by then?

BTW I bought a PS2 when they were relatively new and ended up giving it away. I'm just not a gamer but I am entertained by the antics of others.

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 11-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #32
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
Just for trivia:

I read in an article in teh newspaper yesterday that a group of researchers opened up a 60 GB PS3 and estimate the production cost at $840 per console.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #33
dinanM6

Name: dinanM6
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryY
There have been over 20,000 listed on Ebay both times that I looked this morning.

60 MB units seem to be in the $1400 range now. They were in the $1200 range a hour or 2 ago.

Wait a couple of weeks till they get rarer for the big bucks or will supply catch up by then?

BTW I bought a PS2 when they were relatively new and ended up giving it away. I'm just not a gamer but I am entertained by the antics of others.
I just found these ones via gamespot:

PS3 : 15,000
PS3 : 15,099.00

who in their right mind would spend $15,000 on a console they should take that money and spend it on a nice BMW instead or on a physicatrist which ever helps them get a life faster.

Member of the "I have no money" club
Founding Member of the "I need a job" club

Last edited by dinanM6; 11-19-2006 at 02:30 AM..
Old 11-19-2006, 03:06 AM   #34
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
WOW... next time they make a game system, im waiting in line and buying one then selling it on ebay.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #35
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanM6
who in their right mind would spend $15,000 on a console they should take that money and spend it on a nice BMW instead or on a physicatrist which ever helps them get a life faster.
Or on a DIET PLAN that they're going to need to after playing on that for a couple of weeks.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 AM   #36
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
if you think that sony is only going to make a limited supply of Ps3's you must have also believed that Southpark : bigger longer and uncut was only going to be in theatres.......

they expect to sell 5 million copies of their next FF game.... you can't do that if you only sell 1 million ps3's worldwide..... (sony said at E3 they were planning on FF 6 months after Ps3's release and expects to sell 5 million units of the game.) cause that would mean every person on the planet with a ps3 would buy 4 copies of the US version of FF alone. let alone what they project to sell worldwide...

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 AM   #37
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
Just for trivia:

I read in an article in teh newspaper yesterday that a group of researchers opened up a 60 GB PS3 and estimate the production cost at $840 per console.

just like xbox and ps2 and xbox 360... ZERO profit margin on the console... close to 60% profit on the games and accessories...

and fyi.. maybe 840 per console but they have no idea how many and how big of discounts sony gets for contracts for hardware purchases years into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowkone
Oh and to correct someone... Sony isn't make JACK off the system...
$600 for a state-of-the-art video game system and a Blu-Ray DVD player is ridiculous. The Blu-Ray players alone are selling for almost $1000 each. Sony plans on making it up through software sales assuming they can be dominant in this generation of video games. I'm glad I just reserved mine early, and said "F*CK the lines!"

READ ABOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I heard through CNN that Sony only made 400,000 for US sales. And from what we're seeing on TV it's been a real fiasco. Almost looked like the L.A. riots over a gaming system...

it was 400,000 units for the release date alone.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.

Last edited by Chris; 11-20-2006 at 03:42 AM..
Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #38
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
I like realistic efx myself

Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #39
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowkone
Oh and to correct someone... Sony isn't make JACK off the system...
$600 for a state-of-the-art video game system and a Blu-Ray DVD player is ridiculous. The Blu-Ray players alone are selling for almost $1000 each. Sony plans on making it up through software sales assuming they can be dominant in this generation of video games. I'm glad I just reserved mine early, and said "F*CK the lines!"
You must not be in a business related environment. Do you know how much it costs to make one of those? Dirt cheap. I bet they marked them up 25%-40% of what they actually cost to make one.

The price can't be compared to what a blue-ray costs retail. It's all manufacuturing cost and what the consumer (that's you) is willing to pay for it.

Anwho, I'll look into it more.