Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
Check Brake and Fuel Lines

Since our vee-hi-cules are no longer spring chickens, make it a point to be more diligent in the thoroughness and frequency of your system checks. I was recently rather lucky when a scheduled brake job being done at a friend's place revealed a pin hole leak in one of the brake lines, and my friend, talented as he is (restores pre-war Mercedes), spliced in a new section for me (I don't want to guesstimate what the dealer would have hosed me for). We couldn't detect any obvious problems with the other brakes lines, but the fuel line at a metal connection was showing considerable corrosion.

This prompted the whole question of completely replacing all those lines, which is a mega-job, in that the fuel tank has to be removed to get access to the lines which run over the top of the tank, and removing the fuel tank means removing the exhaust system, then removing the drive shaft, then removing... you getta the picture. It's not impossible, just long and involved, a project necessitating several six-packs, if not a keg (if for no other reason than to preserve a friendship).
Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Mercenary(FH)

Name: Mercenary(FH)
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 286 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 BMW 325is
Yea I had a fuel line go out on our old 83 318i, we just ended up replacing the whole hose, it sucked cause everytime I stopped in it, I could smell gas.....prolly not a good sign. lol
but my 93 yeah it seems fine