Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > M3
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

M3 General discussion and technical help all year M3 cars.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
///Mman721

Name: ///Mman721
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: E36 M3
Lightbulb Small noise from under the hood

I (and alex) did an oil change on my car around early June, and we noticed a small grinding/rattling noise which seemed like it was coming from the very front of the engine---i don't remember hearing it before the oil change---all the internals in my engine are new (on a side note this probably was the reason why I beat harry when I raced his dinan ///M also). Many have suggested that I shouldn't worry about it that much, and that it may go away. I didn't worry about it until today while washing my car I became double curious about it, fearing it could be bad. I have only driven the car about a thousand miles since then, the noise hasn't gotten louder or anything. I have asked a regular mechanic who is a friend of the family (non-bmw mechanic) and thinks it may be because I switched synthetic oils (previous owner used something else, I went to 10w-40). He said switching to a different grade may make it go away. He also said I may need my valves adjusted possibly. I'm taking the car to a trusty bmw mechanic tommorow morning to find out exactly what it is. Any ideas gentlemen? Fire away.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Your description is a little vague, so it's hard to make any serious guess. But your mechanic's theory is plausible. Or it could be something simpler, like a timing chain tensioner or one of the pulleys up front
Old 07-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
///Mman721

Click here to set it up.
Yeah my description is vague because the noise itsself is weird, I can't hardly tell where its coming from--im mostly sure its coming from the very front of the engine where the timing chain is, and if you put your hand on top of it, it feels like that part has something grinding inside of it. But there is no power loss performance wise, just that noise....
Old 07-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
When all the "internals" were replaced, did you replace timing chain tensioner? I suspect a chain doing a little slap in the timing cover via your description.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
^^^^
Nice Theory!
Clapton is the BMW Demigod.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
When all the "internals" were replaced, did you replace timing chain tensioner? I suspect a chain doing a little slap in the timing cover via your description.
Ditto. This is a common problem.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Old 07-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
///Mman721

Click here to set it up.
Yeah, I think C1apton is right. I think that's what it is. But I took it to a bmw mechanic, and he's confident its the dreaded V word (vanos) system making the noise. He claims also that the system is kinda noisy anyways, but I think definetly not like this. I'm taking it to a few more mechanics today, but I guess I won't be 100 percent sure until its opened up and checked out.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
You just need ot have him take off te cover adn tighten up that chain.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged