Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 05-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Spring cleaning!

so its that time of year again, technological spring cleaning. I'm backing up all my important documents (taxes, legal info, etc) my music (12 gigs worth thank god for data DVD's) my important programs (READ: photoshop i got for free and some open source stuff i can't find online anymore) and i'm completely wiping my harddrive, and reinstalling OSx.

Anyone else do this? I do this to prevent crap from piling up in the form of unuseable chunks of data from prior deletes and such.

then i'll reinstall, upgrade the OS from apple.com reinstall the important stuff i saved and it's just like i bought the computer yesterday, all fresh and clean.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
zeaq328i

Name: zeaq328i
Title: BMW 328i
Rate My Car: 314 / 340
Your Ride: BMW 328i and Dad's S320*NowLondon underground Tube*
Never done that before...Seems like a good idea.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 AM   #3
dinanM6

Name: dinanM6
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdoesntknow
so its that time of year again, technological spring cleaning. I'm backing up all my important documents (taxes, legal info, etc) my music (12 gigs worth thank god for data DVD's) my important programs (READ: photoshop i got for free and some open source stuff i can't find online anymore) and i'm completely wiping my harddrive, and reinstalling OSx.

Anyone else do this? I do this to prevent crap from piling up in the form of unuseable chunks of data from prior deletes and such.

then i'll reinstall, upgrade the OS from apple.com reinstall the important stuff i saved and it's just like i bought the computer yesterday, all fresh and clean.
I did that a little while ago mainly because I wanted to install Linux YellowDog but it was also a good excuse to do a clean up I havent put everything back yet thinkin about upgrading yellowdog to 4.2 to see if itll work with the airport extreme card stupid brodcom not releasin thier specs to open source ah well hopefully 4.2 has what i need after that I gotta do spring cleaning on my dell since thats where I moved most of the crap from my laptop and its almost full which aint good gotta make space for TopGear lol

Member of the "I have no money" club
Founding Member of the "I need a job" club
Old 05-11-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
I'm finally finished after what... 4 hours of backing things up and reinstalling EVERYTHING. all i have left to do is get my music back on my computer, but that will have to wait ebcause i found this cool thing on my DVD recorder that lets me listen to music and see a visuallizer through my tv that i'm playing with.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.