Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #1
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Vista as a second rate emulation of OS X

Starting tommorow i'm goign to start comparing windows vista (as described my microsoft.com as it relates to Vista being a second-rate attempt at beating Apple at the easy-usage clean design game.

The first thing i'm going to say is Gadgets!? that look just like widgets!? and act just the same???? wow what a coincidence (big 'ole sack of sarcasm)

because IE 7 doesn't look like camino at all!!!!!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...ryone/ie7.mspx
yeah. right.
for those who don't know, camino is a recently released product from mozilla that is like firefox, but is specifically for OS X (read: cleaner lines, about as native as a web browser can get)
also, check out how the thumbnail thing, is cool, but looks just like the dock if you ask me.

Vista will also have a feature caled "flip 3d" where everything you have running angles itself off and you can pick one. Cool? Yes. But Microsoft has failed again, because this will be a permanent feature on the desktop which will forever cloud the desktop. Scarlett johansen is tehre for a reason! I WANNA SEE HER! besides, F10 is so much better. And F11 rocks. i can remind myself that there are angels on heaven whenever i want.

More Later.

Sure. this is easy to use.... but it looks like shit! white tolbar in a black zone? WTF!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.

Last edited by Chris; 04-21-2006 at 03:47 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
Chris

Click here to set it up.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist.../security.mspx

windows vista is designed to be the most secure version of windows yet.

sure. more secure than the other windows, but we'll have to see about being as secure as OS X 10.5 (this will be X leopard due in august). and then you still have the problem as being (for now) the most popular (but not innovative) Os out tehre. It means that you're going to be the target of 99% of all viruses. Because really, am i going to spend 1000's of hours building the perfect virus to unleash on... OS X? no. because it only has a 12% market share in the U.s. and a 3% market share overseas. it just wouldn't happen. you're going to target something you know will be easy to hit.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #3
Chris

Click here to set it up.
and my final comment for the night.

it looks like the biggest downfall to plague windows is a support for creativity. I just love how i can go to apple.com and search "open source" and find dozens of links to open source content that is all useful. Microsoft n the other hand still believes that its products are the end all be all of perfection.... but how many people here still use IE? no. firefox FTW.

IMO microsoft needs to get rid of the windows platform (which brings me to another point that i forgot ITS STILL REG BASED!) and build a new OS from the ground up.

at the end of the day, it looks like microsoft put massive amounts of money into windows vista and ended up with a seemingly easy to use (we won't really know until it actually gets in our hands) front end with still outdated architecture on the backend.

I would have thought that after these past 5 years as apple being one of the fastest growing brands on the planet and microsoft losing ground consistently, they'd shape up and realize that users won't be fooled by updated versions of the same OS forever.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
problem is, the majority of computer users dont know, so they will be fooled forever. . . they will continue using comprmised OSes and worthless, dangerous browsers (IE).

the other day a friend of mine was asking for help with his mothers computer, ridden with spyware, malware, etc. i told him to switch to firefox, and he asked, "isnt IE supposed to be the best, end all be all?"

um, no. . .
Old 04-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Chris

Click here to set it up.
that sucks so bad. i never once used IE. before firefox, there was a point i used charlotte which was completely text based.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
okay?
why would you judge something that you have not used?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
It's still registry based. That means no true security. IOW, everything Chris already said
Old 04-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Uhhhh

:raises hand

I use IE, I find no complaints.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
Besides lotattendant, who cares what IE7 is going to look like? Everyone uses Firefox anyways...

Yes it is reg based... other than that I think I will skip your review until it actually comes out...