Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #24
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
So in essence u r saying forget about the my "convenience" factor in trading in my oldie because that will actually hurt me more than help, financially and time wise? I can see that happening... but my local indy said these oldies are so hard to sell, and might be better off just giving it to charity, because the market for like a $2000 BMW is tiny... people who want a BMW can afford more, and people who cant are not willing to buy because its expensive to fix... so u need to find basically a fool who's eyes are bigger than his stomach. He has a red 1997 5 series sitting around for like a year, no takers yet, and its in great shape. Although I think my black 328i is much more mainstream (except for the manual) for most buyers and would be easier to sell.

Your $2000 BMW may not have a large market where YOU are, but their is still a good market for them throughout the rest of the US. If you really want to sell it, then list it on ebay or somewhere else people in other states can see it. Their have been several threads on Bimmerforums and other sites of guys driving from the NE US down to Florida to pick up an E36. Some people have flown, and then drove 14 hours home just to buy an E36. Their is still a huge enthusiast market for the E36, as it was the most sucsessful model that BMW has ever made.

If you attempt to trade it in on a newer vehicle, then you will get lowballed hard. Its what dealers do. They try to give you pennies on the dollar for your trade so that not only do they profit on you buying a vehicle, they profit again when they sell your old one. A friend of mine was thinking of trading in his 2004 E46 and they offered him 50% of fair market value.

If the car has been sitting for a year, ask why. Is the price to high? Is their something wrong with it? Try to find out how many people have come to actually look at the car. They will probaly lie, but if they have had 20 or 30 people come look at it and nobody has wanted it their has to be a reason why. Not saying that a car that has been on the lot for a year isnt bad, just things to think about. You say the market for an older BMW is slim where you live and that could just be the reason there.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE