Old 06-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
gdamato

Name: gdamato
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2005 325i
Unhappy 325i getting harder and harder to start

My 2005 325i is showing some interesting behavior. About a month ago I noted some hesitation (cranking maybe five secs) on all COLD starts (first start of the day).

It went away for a while, but now it's back with a vengeance and getting worse by the day. The number of seconds of cranking it takes to start is proportional to the number of hours the car has been cold - overnight, it takes 8 to 15 secs or so. When I start her during the day, no hesitation at all.

I have to travel, and the last time I left the car cold for five days, it took a good 25 secs to start! Next time I'm guessing it won't start. I'm in Venice CA and unfortunately the only neareby dealer is the notorious Santa Monica BMW (service dept rated F with the BBB) so I don't want to take it there. The local indie shops can't do warranty work. I made an appointment with Beverly Hills BMW but they have no Sat hours so it's not until 6/29. I doubt the car will be starting that week!

I've done some research - fuel pump issue?? I'm hoping it's something I can take care of myself. I'm an ex-submarine mechanic, don't know much about auto engines.

Thanks in advance!

Glenn