United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   M3 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vibration 45-65 MPH (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9019)

DropTopM 09-13-2006 10:16 PM

Vibration 45-65 MPH

Can anyone help me figure out why my steering wheel vibrates when I drive between 45-65 MPH? When I am driving slow or 90MPH, the car drives perfect. Thank you for all of your help!

Linds 09-13-2006 10:31 PM

Someone can correct me here but I think the most common cause is unbalanced wheels.

Rooz 09-13-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linds
Someone can correct me here but I think the most common cause is unbalanced wheels.

:thumbup you'r right

DropTopM 09-13-2006 11:38 PM

Could it also be a bent wheel? My car was wrecked before and the front driver side suspension was replaced. I will take it to the shop to balance the wheels. Thank you.

Linds 09-13-2006 11:40 PM

Yeah, bent wheel was my second guess. If it's not either of these I think this might also be a symptom of the flex disc (aka guibo) needing to be replaced. I'm not sure, though, I haven't had any problems with mine yet (knock wood).

defkon99 09-14-2006 08:35 AM

yupp , i should be checkin mine pretty soon, but only if i can look at TIS or chilton to how to get to it.

jms 09-14-2006 08:44 AM

mine was actually cause by a ball joint and a weak control arm bushing, the ball joint would start the shimmy and the control arm would make it worse, but if I went faster it was fine and if I went slower it was fine, it really freaked me out.

nick_318is 09-14-2006 12:14 PM

you might also get some from a bad wheel bearing, but you would have a loud humming noise if it got to that point.

mullethunter3 09-14-2006 12:21 PM

wheel bearing would make a humming noise when you move the steering wheel, especially on an e30.
bent wheel is easy (i've had two), it makes a rythmic thump-thump-thump

unbalenced wheels/tires are easy assuming it's really unbalenced. other than that, maybe something isn't tightened down all the way...

i'll admit it. i didn't tighten down every lug nut after i put my struts on and put it on the ground, i got too excited. a quick tighten and that stopped.

Neilsen 02-16-2008 05:27 PM

i had cupped tires in the front for a while and the thing shook like crazy. i never took it to 90 though

TheUniballer 02-17-2008 12:14 PM

do you live in a snowy area, cause snow can throw off the balance too, have had it happen a lot

johnnybayonne 02-17-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropTopM (Post 121737)
Can anyone help me figure out why my steering wheel vibrates when I drive between 45-65 MPH? When I am driving slow or 90MPH, the car drives perfect. Thank you for all of your help!

Did you try rotating your tires back to front? Note: if they are directional tires, left rear to the left front & right rear to right front! If they are not directional, then RF to LR & LF to RR! If the the vibration moves to the back then you know you have an issue with those wheels!!! If not , then you might have an issue with the front end components!

BadBimmerz 02-26-2009 07:27 PM

If you are running aftermarket wheels they may need a hub-centric ring to fit snuggly on tha hub... if you are running stock wheels then jus disreguard this but yeah start with wheel balance and then check the suspension components like ball joints and Control arm bushings which can cause similar symtoms as u were describing..

Raymond 04-07-2010 04:01 AM

New to Forum,
Hello All!
Have a 04 M3 Coupe 6spd.
Sounds like wheel balance is off.
Rocks in tread or like the other post snow/ice.
Wish you luck with your toy.
Raymond

willie0915 05-20-2010 12:19 PM

Hello, may sound crazy, but if none above have result you can check the flex disc between the front section of the driveshaftand the output flange of the transmission should be checked for cracks, tears, missing pieces, or distortion. Check for worn bolt hole bores in the flange. It happends to me once and after I replace the flex, Problem solve.