United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Moisture in headlights (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6868)

DEATH2000 03-17-2006 03:15 PM

Moisture in headlights

Well since there isnt a thread here yet id start it start it off (and try to solve a problem at the same time)

Well i have the halo one piece headlights, and they keep getting moisture in em every time i wash the car. I had the guy who installed em seal them but i dont think he did the best job cause some how moisture keeps getting in. Could it be the little weather stripping thing right by were the corner lights are? I drive with my headlights on to get the moisture out but i wanna find a way to keep the moisture out for good. Ive taken a look at the lights and to me it seems like they were sealed properly. But i dunno, anyone have any input?

habbie 03-17-2006 09:38 PM

what type/make of headlight, year and model car?
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEATH2000
Well since there isnt a thread here yet id start it start it off (and try to solve a problem at the same time)

Well i have the halo one piece headlights, and they keep getting moisture in em every time i wash the car. I had the guy who installed em seal them but i dont think he did the best job cause some how moisture keeps getting in. Could it be the little weather stripping thing right by were the corner lights are? I drive with my headlights on to get the moisture out but i wanna find a way to keep the moisture out for good. Ive taken a look at the lights and to me it seems like they were sealed properly. But i dunno, anyone have any input?

witeshark 03-17-2006 11:35 PM

O/T I like this new forum! Welcome! :)

Numark318i 03-19-2006 12:35 AM

i got the same problem. ALthough my lights arent bavtoys and i probally could have gotten better quality lights.
whats a solution to this?
I got Euro Elipsoid lights from Depo lighting i believe.

habbie 03-19-2006 12:50 AM

you over torqued your mounting bolts, you only need to hand torque them, by over torquing them you are actualy seperating the glass from the plastic housing causing a void and sucking in moisture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/DSCF1222.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Numark318i
i got the same problem. ALthough my lights arent Unmitza and i probally could have gotten better quality lights.
whats a solution to this?
I got Euro Elipsoid lights from Depo lighting i believe.

DEATH2000 03-19-2006 10:38 AM

^^ Dammit, cause i didnt install them. My body shop did when they put on my bumper. If this is whats happened to my lights are they like perma f*cked or what? I dont really wanna complain to my body sop guy cause hes really nice and does a great job, but if his guys screwed up i would like to hold em responsible

habbie 03-19-2006 11:38 AM

i cant answer that unless i know which headlights we are talking about.
in your case i think it has more to do with the poor quality then install, you did say you had the one piece fleabay lights, right?
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEATH2000
^^ Dammit, cause i didnt install them. My body shop did when they put on my bumper. If this is whats happened to my lights are they like perma f*cked or what? I dont really wanna complain to my body sop guy cause hes really nice and does a great job, but if his guys screwed up i would like to hold em responsible

Rooz 03-19-2006 01:39 PM

Ouri, he doesn't have ZKW's or Depo's, he has the one piece style headlights with the corner lights built into them

habbie 03-19-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooz
Ouri, he doesn't have ZKW's or Depo's, he has the one piece style headlights with the corner lights built into them

yeah, i pointed that out that his problem was likely due to poor quality rather then improper install.:)

BMWLotAttendant 03-19-2006 06:09 PM

I've seen this before on e46s and e39s.

I've tried driving around town for 45 minutes with the brights on....that didn't work. :nono

Had to un-install them and let them air dry/wipe them down on the inside until the condensation is all gone.

DEATH2000 03-21-2006 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habbie@umnitza-east
yeah, i pointed that out that his problem was likely due to poor quality rather then improper install.:)

Well i rather have poor quality then have to blame my body shop for something. Personally i like the one piece lights more. I dont mind the moisture, i just dont want it there for Bimmerfest.

komodo 03-21-2006 02:20 AM

Actually that may be my problem. I remember tightening those bolts down pretty hard on the side I'm having moisture build-up, because I barely squeezed my Dinan CAI behind it. Hum..

JayDee 03-11-2010 06:43 PM

Hello,

I had the same problem with moisture in the Headlights.
Got two small bags of Silica Gel, the stuff that comes in the box when you buy something New.
Place one in each of the snap on covers that cover the Bulbs, snapped the covers back on.
NO more moisture !!!!.

IF it comes back, I will take the Silica bags out and dry them, then pop them back in !!.
Worked a treat, dead easy to do too.

JayDee,
www.john-dowd.co.uk

joshtimber81 04-02-2010 03:45 AM

Thanks for the instructions. I was also looking for the same thing.

JayDee 04-05-2010 08:01 AM

Hello,

One Headlight has misted up slighty again, so the Silica filled bag was removed and dried, then placed back into the rear of the light.
The mist has now almost gone !.

There seems to be enough airways through the sides of the lenses to allow the moisture to escape into the Silica.
Will keep you all posted how it all goes !.

JayDee. :tup
www.john-dowd.co.uk.