United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central Region (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Anyone in Indiana? At or near Purdue? (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6380)

nightdevils 02-15-2006 07:31 PM

Anyone in Indiana? At or near Purdue?

Howdy, looking for someone to go out driving with, and if it works, to teach me stuff like cornering, drifting, etc, etc... :drive2

nick_318is 02-15-2006 10:12 PM

Your about 5 hours away from me, if you ever visit MSU let me know, if i'm ever near purdue i will post up and let you know.

nightdevils 02-15-2006 10:16 PM

that would work, there aren't any tracks mid point is there ?

nick_318is 02-15-2006 10:41 PM

there are a couple in western Michigan, i have been to Grattan and Gingerman. I wanna say there is a track called putnam park in Indiana, its in Mount Merridian, and I have heard good things about it and I would like to drive it sometime.
Putnam Park
Gingerman Raceway
Grattan

The map for Grattan Does not do the course justice there are some wierd thing that are on that track (off camber turns and some other things), and a lot of elevation changes, and its a lot of fun.

I think me and some of the members of the MSU racing club are going to do a test and tune probably at gingerman in the spring when it opens up.

nightdevils 02-15-2006 10:53 PM

gingerman raceway is about 4 hrs away, let me know in advance when you guys head down there, I should be able to make it there...prolly get a room somewhere if nothing else works out. putnam park is 1 .5 hrs away! sweet!!! :D

nick_318is 02-15-2006 11:19 PM

^will do i think it will probably be in the afternoon sometime, when i know more i will post up here. I think its a 5:30 till dark thing and is about 50 bucks, not sure if you need a helmet or if they have any to loan/rent, and i think it opens up sometime in March (so we would go sometime in the march-april timeframe)

nightdevils 02-16-2006 02:41 PM

For sure. I have motorcycle helmets, not sure if that counts or not... should. Also wondering if they have instructors there or not, and whether I should bring an extra set of tires (i would have to purchase new ones..what kind- thats another topic for the forum). March-april timeframe sounds good as it will be warmer in that area.

nick_318is 02-16-2006 07:28 PM

It would not have any instructors just open track to run on, they generally say you should have some experience, if you came and they let us I would be willing to take you for a ride and try to show you the line (its been over a year since i have been so i might take a minute to remember) and or go with you and try to help out. I think they would probably let you run with a motorcycle helmet. As far as tires go you would be fine on your normal tires (they might wear some but you dont need anything more at first)

nightdevils 02-16-2006 07:42 PM

Sweet, I was a bit worried that I would need new tires depending on how much drifting I end up doing...I am guessing there will be none?

Also, it might be better if I ride in your car once to see the lines to take, and then I try it with you in the passenger seat...there will be tons to correct me on :)

nick_318is 02-16-2006 08:32 PM

On the track grip > drift, you will eat at your tires but i dont think we will be there that long considering its from 5:30 - dark (depends on when dailight savings kicks back in)

nightdevils 02-16-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_318is
On the track grip > drift, you will eat at your tires but i dont think we will be there that long considering its from 5:30 - dark (depends on when dailight savings kicks back in)

I have a lot to learn ... :nod

Storamin 02-16-2006 08:46 PM

If you drift I wouldn't be surprised if they asked you to leave on an open lapping days. If your tires have enough rubber left, use them. I feel that having an instructor is very helpful. I'm not at the point where I'm better than an instructor yet, and I doubt I will be for years ahead. I find it's always better to get their help and opinion...

nightdevils 02-16-2006 08:59 PM

I wonder if I can arrange for an instructor to meet me there for the day? Then I will meet up with you guys at 5:30 or so?

nick_318is 02-16-2006 10:34 PM

I dont know what the tracks policy is regarding that or if you would be able to use the track earlier in the day, wihtout renting it out or something. I have to agree with Storamin an instructor is very benificial and you will learn much more. I have only driven this corse once at a 2 day drivers school and got signed off on the begining of the second day, its a really safe corse (flat with nothing to run into), and i can only help you so much in regards to your line and such, since our cars are somewhat different (especially in wieght), but yea come on out and I will let you know when we are planning on going.

nightdevils 02-16-2006 11:04 PM

Hoosier BMWCCA is hosting a driving school at Putnam Park in April 15-16. You should come down. It costs only $350 for 2 days and the banquet.