United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   E90 Buying Advice--Nav or Facelift? (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47871)

bas 06-04-2012 12:12 AM

E90 Buying Advice--Nav or Facelift?

Howdy.

Is the nav on the '08 so bad I will hate it? I am buying cash, so have to choose based on available dollars. Can get a loaded '08 with nav or a mostly-loaded facelift '09 without nav. Really want nav, but tuition is forcing me to choose. Other than nav, any input about overall input of either year (I've read about fuel pump issues, engines, etc.) would also be gladly welcome.

I'd really appreciate any advice! This is my 3rd BMW. Would never buy anything else.:drive2

Thanks much.:thanks

DEATH2000 06-04-2012 11:05 AM

A 3rd party dash mounted GPS unit will be a lot cheaper and you wot have to worry about an expensive repair bill if it does fail. The E60 was known for several problems related to the iDrive system. Go with the 09. It will also have more warranty left

bas 06-04-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEATH2000 (Post 205947)
A 3rd party dash mounted GPS unit will be a lot cheaper and you wot have to worry about an expensive repair bill if it does fail. The E60 was known for several problems related to the iDrive system. Go with the 09. It will also have more warranty left

That's kind of what I was leaning toward. I appreciate the input.
So, the E60 navi is the same as the pre-facelift navi in the E90? A little confusing...
I did call BMW parts. Guy there said as long as you update with the latest DVD the nav is ok. Still, though, it sounds like the voice commands are limited and the dial is kind of clumsy. Ah, well...I'm overanalyzing. Will probably just end up saving up a few more bucks and get the whole shebang in an '09 when I can.
Thanks.:iwave

DEATH2000 06-04-2012 04:33 PM

I don't know of their the exact same, but I know the iDrive system in the E60 was prone to problems and costly repairs. If your going to buy one I would et te one with the most warranty left. Look into how much the software CD updates are. A friend of mine rented a 750i in California and upon talking to the guy about the Nav system they found the CD for it, and was told it was $800.

bas 06-04-2012 05:10 PM

Ouch! Time for another phone call.
THanks again

DEATH2000 06-04-2012 05:50 PM

That's why I'm not a fan of the Nav. I rarely ever use GPS and when I do I have a dash dock for my iPhone. Are you a DIY'er? Because the E90 is not Do It Yourself friendly at all. It doesn't even have an oil dipstick!

Personally I think the best cars BMW made were in the 90's. Absolutely fantastic cars. Newest I would ever go would be an E46.